12 Gallons tank fish are dying help

so I recently moved tanks to a new tank and used a new substrate as well. Is it the problem my fish is now dying off 1 by 1 after a week has passed? Or is there any problem with my water since  it's bubbly? Sorry I'm new to this

image.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-03 at 17.32.28_babd4b7b.jpg

Edited by Misterpotato
my face is insdie

Agreed. This looks a lot like possible ammonia problems. 

How long has the tank been set up total and before fish were put in?

What are your current parameters? If you don't know what that means that's fine. Just let me know. 

Most likely the tank is not cycled and therefore ammonia is present. You need to do a fish-in cycle to keep the fish alive. They are currently being exposed to toxins. I will link an article. The first half explains the nitrogen cycle. This concept is extremely important and the center of fish keeping. I encourage you to seek out other articles and YouTube videos explaining it to see it explained in a variety of ways until you fully understand it. The second half is a step by step guide on doing a fish in cycle. 

https://fishlab.com/fish-in-cycle/

I would also like to address two other things. First one is easy. I would raise the water line. I don't want to throw too much information at you at once so I will explain it pretty simply. Basically it will help two things. First is that it is giving the fish more space to live in. Second, and probably more importantly, it allows the filter to work best. There are some species that benefit more from a low water line but you don't have any of those. You should try to keep the water line just below the filter outflow to maximize its effectiveness. 

Second thing to address is stocking. No issues with the 6 glo tetras or otos. The cories need a group of 6 or more. Bronze cories specifically get kind of large to have 6 in that size tank.  Both gourami are morphs of a three-spot gourami. Three-spot gourami get far too large for a 12 gallon tank. To put this into perspective, I once had a gold gourami in my 29 gallon tank for 1 hour before I realized my mistake and took it back.

I don't want you to feel bad about ANYTHING. I always hope people don't take stuff like this the wrong way. You don't know what you don't know and unfortunately pet stores rarely give you compete and accurate information. You are asking the right questions and doing A LOT right. You can 100% fix this and learn in the mean time! 

For now, I suggest either looking to get a larger tank, or rehoming the cories and gourami and start planning for different fish. There are other different cory and gourami species that would work perfectly in there!  I wouldn't suggest adding them right away but give the tank some time to cycle. 

• Like 2

If you are interested and aren't already overwhelmed by too much info, I realized it might be helpful to let you know the cory and gourami species that would work in there. Here's some you can look into when you want to:

Cories:

-  Pygmy -  most popular and common

-  Habrosus, also called "salt and pepper" - 2nd most popular and common

-  Panda - largest of the ones I'll suggest so have to limit numbers more. 

Gourami:

-  Honey gourami - very peaceful and a nice yellow color. Some come with some orange on it. You could have 2 in here. 

-  Dwarf gourami -  semi-aggressive. These can be different personalities from fish to fish. They come in different color morphs including:  flame, neon and powdered blue. 

-  Sparkling gourami - small and extremely peaceful. They can be a little shy. They are very pretty. You could keep a trio. 

-  Chocolate gourami - more rare and harder to find. I would do 1 or 2. 

-  Licorice gourami -  this one the beauty can sneak up on you. They can look plain usually but when the male colors up they are absolutely stunning. More rare and harder to find. I would do a trio. 

Edited by Cinnebuns