Upgrading current HOB filter to a new one tips

Dankcichlid

Im upgrading a HOB filter on one of my 55-gallon tanks. its been running for a few years, with 2 cartridges with the activated carbon cut out, ones a year old and the other was switched out a few months ago. would that floss from the 2 cartridges be efficient in keeping the cycle going? Im upgrading to the Seachem tidal 110. My plan was to place the floss in the new HOB bucket along with some new media while taking the old filter slush(?) inside and throwing it in the new. any insights or tips would be appreciated. I could always throw the new unit on the other side of the tank but would rather not break the plastic slot in the new hood i just got. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:26 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

It’s likely that you have way more beneficial bacteria in the actual tank, than in the inside of the filter. You can most likely just swap it out, feed lightly, and test often, and not have any issues at all. 

thanks, i appreciate it. I'm nervous to do it without keeping original HOB unit on.  

• Like 1

yeah a tad nervous as its my tank baby. just too be 100% safe im going to keep 2 units on it for a few weeks. The tank is a machine but would hate to lose a fella. thanks for the insight. 

• Like 2