Thoughts on 25gal (95L) stocking plan

Seisage

So I'm working on setting up a biotope aquarium based on the Ucayali River in Peru and I wanted to get some feedback about my stocking plan for it.

Tank dimensions are 30"L x 12"W x 16" H (Edit to add metric: 76.2cm x 30.5cm x 40.6cm, total volume ~95L)

Current stock plans are as follows:

10x Neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)

8x Marbled hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata)

6x Zebra oto (Otocinclus cocoama)

1x Apistogramma agassizii

Aqadvisor puts this stocking level at 91%. I'd probably be more comfortable at around 85%, but the stocking percentage doesn't change if I reduce the tank size to 20gal, so I don't think their calculator is taking the extra 5gal into account. Given that this is a biotope tank, all of these species co-occur and should theoretically be alright with the same conditions, but the neons and otos like slightly cooler water (21-25C) while the hatchets and apisto like slightly warmer (22-29C, but closer to 26C preferred). Would 24-25C be okay as a general tank temperature?

Also, thoughts on stocking order? I don't want to start with the apisto, and definitely not the otos because they need an established tank with algae, so I'm debating between starting with the neons vs the hatchets. I've heard neons do better in a more seasoned tank that's already populated, but that hatchets can also be a bit delicate. Any experience starting a tank with either?

Edited by Seisage

The other thing that Aqua Advisor doesn't take into account is plants. They help decrease your bioload so if you have any, then you are probably lower than the 91% their calculation spits out. What is the footprint of the tank? Is it just a taller 20G or more of a square?

IDK about the stocking order for the rest but I agree that the Apisto should go last and I think letting the Otos be second to last is also a good idea since it would give the tank more time to build up some stuff for them to scavenge.

Neons in my experience are 50/50 when introduced to a tank but if they survive the first 24-48 hours then they are as hardy as any fish I have owned. I also keep my neons at about 26C (79F) but have kept them as low as 24C (75F) and as high as 28C (82F) and they have done well at each temperature.

Edited by NOLANANO

My first tank ever started with Neons. I would definitely do them first. Then the Hatchets, then either the Oto’s or Apisto depending on the biofilms in the tank for the Oto’s. 

My only other comment is that I always recommend quarantining new fish. My Hatchets got ich AFTER the med trio was used on them. Med trio for a week, 50% water change to remove the meds, and then a week later they had ich that I beat with salt. After beating the ich I left them in QT for another 4 weeks or so, and then once I was sure they had beat the infection and healed up I moved them to the community tank and didn’t experience any further issues. 

That definitely taught me my lesson that quarantine is important, and a longer QT is worth it. I now do a 4-6 week QT just to be on the safe side. I’ve spent the last 4 years making sure my ecosystems are healthy. It’s worth the extra time in QT to ensure they remain healthy. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, NOLANANO said:

The other thing that Aqua Advisor doesn't take into account is plants. They help decrease your bioload so if you have any, then you are probably lower than the 91% their calculation spits out. What is the footprint of the tank? Is it just a taller 20G or more of a square?

IDK about the stocking order for the rest but I agree that the Apisto should go last and I think letting the Otos be second to last is also a good idea since it would give the tank more time to build up some stuff for them to scavenge.

Neons in my experience are 50/50 when introduced to a tank but if they survive the first 24-48 hours then they are as hardy as any fish I have owned. I also keep my neons at about 26C (79F) but have kept them as low as 24C (75F) and as high as 28C (82F) and they have done well at each temperature.

Oh interesting, I guess I didn’t even consider that aqadvisor doesn’t take live plants into account. It makes sense though, as those calculations would become pretty difficult very quickly. I will have plants though! Almost entirely floaters (frogbit and water lettuce), maybe an amazon sword.

I did list the tank dimensions. It’s basically just a taller 20g long (30” length, 12” width). I figured the greater footprint would be good for the apisto and the otos to share space, although the otos will also have plenty of driftwood and leaf litter to hang out on.

Good to know the neons do okay at a variety of temps!