Neo C02 Diffuser as bubble counter?

TWrecks

I am new to CO2 diffuser after just installing a Neo CO2 diffuser, previously I was bubbling CO2 into my canister intake for some time.

The diffuser looks like it is meant to be half full of liquid so show the bubble count flow, is that correct? If so, should that be water or mineral oil? 

I had a hard time getting water to enter the bowl managed to inject enough to show bubbles. I don't have a bubble counter elsewhere in the system. Do I need one?

Thanks

Tim

OK thanks that makes sense. I use a pH controller to control the amount of CO2.

I also have a gas flow meter/adjuster that I use in place of the needle valve. Interestingly the flow reading was never useful when I just bubbled into the canister intake... I had tweak it down to an indicated 0 to get the bubble rate down to 2/sec. Perhaps the low pressure from the venturi effect off the intake flow was throwing it off. Now that I have the diffuser connected which definitely needs some pressure to diffuse CO2, it reads ~15ml/min for 2 bubbles/sec, which seems higher than I would expect, but I can't find any leaks. I have CO2 tubing from the tank to the check valve, and silicone tubing from the check valve to the diffuser.

Tim