Working on lowering ammonia but have green algae growing

JillianGarcia05

On 11/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, JillianGarcia05 said:

What would qualify as a sterile tank? 0ppm for ammonia and nitrates appearing?

I'm still doing the daily water changes with prime and getting readings of .25ppm in the tank for ammonia. I just did another post to see if anyone knows of the API fresh water master kit does give false postives with prime. If so, can I move onto the next phase of stopping water changes and adding the Seachem sability into the tank for 7-10 days to get nitrogen cycle going. 

By "sterile tank," I meant a tank set up with new filter media, gravel, etc..

Prime gives a false negative rather than a false positive.  It causes ammonia that is present to not show up on our test kits.  So, the 0.25 ppm may be higher.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, Galabar said:

Prime gives a false negative rather than a false positive.  It causes ammonia that is present to not show up on our test kits.  So, the 0.25 ppm may be higher.

Hi @Galabar - I feel like I'm now 100% confused since other places have said false positives. I guess I'm at the point where I've been doing daily tank changes (plus two big ones last week) and want to get the nitrogen cycle started. 

I've heard from some that for the BB to work, I need to stop with the water change and put the BB in it.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:04 PM, JillianGarcia05 said:

Hi @Galabar - I feel like I'm now 100% confused since other places have said false positives. I guess I'm at the point where I've been doing daily tank changes (plus two big ones last week) and want to get the nitrogen cycle started. 

I've heard from some that for the BB to work, I need to stop with the water change and put the BB in it.

Honestly, I may be confused myself.  There is a lot of info out there with various types of tests and Prime.  It does perturb some of those tests.  However, I'm going to have to go back and see exactly how...

Question: you mentioned that the tap water tested 0 ammonia.  Was that before or after you add the Prime?

On 12/1/2023 at 8:38 AM, JillianGarcia05 said:

I didn't add any prime to the water when I tested the ammonia - just straight tap water. 

I'm guessing I should add prime and test again? 

It could be interesting.  At this point, just trying to look at every angle... 🙂

On 12/1/2023 at 9:58 AM, Galabar said:

It could be interesting.  At this point, just trying to look at every angle... 🙂

Very true. When I do the water change today and prepare the replacement water with prime, I'll gather some to test and see. 

Tomorrow I plan on going to the Aquarium Co-Op (it's not too far from me) and seeing if anyone has some other recommendations to follow.

Thanks again for all your help 🙂

• Like 1