Random Snail

TwoFace99

Hello, I just came across my first inhabitant of my fish tank (still in cycling process). I’m not sure how the little guy came about, as all my hardscape and plants were free of any snails and I had them for weeks. Any idea of how and what type of snail this is? 

IMG_0358.jpeg

On 11/6/2023 at 3:06 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Snails are like colds , they turn up out of nowhere. Looks like a ramshorn snail to me.

Thank you once again, The Swiss Aquarist. Many years ago, I had a snail infestation that only got worse and worse until I killed my fish in that tank, resulting in me breaking down everything. That was about 8-9 years ago, and I have recently returned to the hobby back in July. 

At first, I was happy to continue to see new life being sustained/birthed in my fish tank’s cycling process, but snails are not something I wish to deal with ever again, unless they are Nerite or Assassin Snails. 

Lastly, it was hard to tell which Ramshorn, but I believe it was a Pink Leopard. It was a lot more brighter in an almost pink-like shade within the water. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:52 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

One fun snail for you could be Sulawesi yellow snails. I’ve heard from a fish club member that they outcompete pest snails for food, as well as being slow to reproduce. 

IMG_4210.png

That would be cool to try, if I ever get the chance to start up more tanks down the line. 

• Like 1