Tips for painting 3D printed decor?

TravelersReef

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I've 3d printed some decor out of white PETG and would like to paint them to make them a bit more interesting. What are some good options for this? I've seen you can use Plasti Dip and Krylon spray, but as some of these items are quite small I think applying with a small brush to add details would be better.

Could I just use any non-toxic acrylic paints and then apply some non-toxic clear coat to seal it? If so, does anyone have any specific clear coats they've tried and could recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

Any non-toxic acrylic paint will be aquarium safe once fully cured, and sealing with clear krylon will ensure that it doesn't degrade super quickly. Sometimes the non-toxic acrylics aren't the best quality, so I definitely recommend a solid 2 coats of clear before it goes in your tank. 

On 9/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Sarina said:

Any non-toxic acrylic paint will be aquarium safe once fully cured, and sealing with clear krylon will ensure that it doesn't degrade super quickly. Sometimes the non-toxic acrylics aren't the best quality, so I definitely recommend a solid 2 coats of clear before it goes in your tank. 

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I'll do then!

On 9/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Sarina said:

Hi again, just want to confirm because I see a few different Krylon clear sprays, is the Krylon Fusion spray the one I want? (this)

• 4 months later...

Using non-toxic acrylic paints is a great idea, and you can definitely apply them with a small brush to add intricate details. It gives you more control, especially on smaller items.As for clear coats, many hobbyists recommend using non-toxic clear varnishes or sealants designed for crafts. They help protect the paint and give it a glossy finish. Brands like Mod Podge, DecoArt, or Krylon Clear Coat are commonly used and should work well.On a different note, if you're into decor and prints, have you ever considered Glass Prints? They can add a unique and elegant touch to your living space. You can check out options at Glass Prints Australia. I hope your painting project turns out beautifully! Feel free to share your creations with us when you're done.

Edited by Ulipetovay