Wonder Shell vs Crushed Coral

Elyse

So I've started noticing some signs of calcium deficiency in some of my plants. Was planning on trying some wonder shell to help with this but the kH and pH are also still pretty low so I was thinking of using crushed coral for this. My water is very soft with about 6.5 pH. First question, what is the major difference between wonder shell and crushed coral? Second question, are they safe to use together? 

On 9/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, Elyse Douglas said:

So I've started noticing some signs of calcium deficiency in some of my plants. Was planning on trying some wonder shell to help with this but the kH and pH are also still pretty low so I was thinking of using crushed coral for this. My water is very soft with about 6.5 pH. First question, what is the major difference between wonder shell and crushed coral? Second question, are they safe to use together? 

Wondershell only adds GH. Crushed coral increases pH and KH. Crushed coral only adds a little bit calcium I think. It mainly replenishes the buffer system in the water to prevent pH crashes. I’d say if you want calcium wondershell is a better choice. If you haven’t been experiencing any pH stability issues your KH should be fine. Mine hovers around 5-6 and I don’t have any issues. If it’s below 3 you may want to add coral as well

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:16 PM, Zac said:

Wondershell only adds GH. Crushed coral increases pH and KH. Crushed coral only adds a little bit calcium I think. It mainly replenishes the buffer system in the water to prevent pH crashes. I’d say if you want calcium wondershell is a better choice. If you haven’t been experiencing any pH stability issues your KH should be fine. Mine hovers around 5-6 and I don’t have any issues. If it’s below 3 you may want to add coral as well

My kH out of the tap is 0-2, so definitely should start using some crushed coral huh...oh dear.