Black spot Gold White Cloud

mynameisnobody

Hello, I have a 110 gallon stock tank in the yard with Gold White Clouds and platies. Yesterday, I pulled the Gold white clouds to have them join a school of 100 or so white clouds/gold white clouds in my 300 gallon stock. When I pulled them out, I noticed 2 or 3 of them had a black mark on them. Does anyone know what this is? I’ve never seen it before. Thank you 

22448EF8-FFA2-40A9-8E49-C17E5FC61216.jpeg

4E3AAF9B-DC57-4A3F-88BF-F80C761D59EB.jpeg

DD4A53D2-7798-4528-BEF2-C1A5D172FED3.jpeg

On 11/4/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jazz Pizza said:

Hello, I have a 110 gallon stock tank in the yard with Gold White Clouds and platies. Yesterday, I pulled the Gold white clouds to have them join a school of 100 or so white clouds/gold white clouds in my 300 gallon stock. When I pulled them out, I noticed 2 or 3 of them had a black mark on them. Does anyone know what this is? I’ve never seen it before. Thank you 

22448EF8-FFA2-40A9-8E49-C17E5FC61216.jpeg

4E3AAF9B-DC57-4A3F-88BF-F80C761D59EB.jpeg

DD4A53D2-7798-4528-BEF2-C1A5D172FED3.jpeg

Looks to me like some of them aren't entirely gold...never a bad thing though!

I recently did an albino x normal BN breeding thing; very fun!

• Like 1

Yeah, looks like some cross breeding, getting that black spot near the tail.  I know my regular whiteclouds have that black spot right at the base of their tail fin.  Looking at photos online of golden white clouds, I see some without that black spot, and some with.  Gold White Clouds are the same species as the regular, just bred specifically for those lighter colors.  Looks like the genetic lottery in your tank spit out some interesting mixes.  Two of the ones on top look like mostly golden coloration, but with the regular coloration on a portion of the tops of their bodies.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, RockMongler said:

Yeah, looks like some cross breeding, getting that black spot near the tail.  I know my regular whiteclouds have that black spot right at the base of their tail fin.  Looking at photos online of golden white clouds, I see some without that black spot, and some with.  Gold White Clouds are the same species as the regular, just bred specifically for those lighter colors.  Looks like the genetic lottery in your tank spit out some interesting mixes.  Two of the ones on top look like mostly golden coloration, but with the regular coloration on a portion of the tops of their bodies.

Exactly what I mean! 

Are you a maths teacher? They always make concise concepts last forever!

🙃

On 11/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Exactly what I mean! 

Are you a maths teacher? They always make concise concepts last forever!

🙃

I'm a High School Geology teacher.  I focus more on chemistry and rocks, but I am moderately familiar with biology and genetics.