Has anyone kept a male only or female only angelfish tank?

janice

Hi! Has anyone tried keeping a male only or female only angelfish tank?

I was growing out some angelfish juveniles to resell but plans have changed (got one 75gal for them and moving my platies from the other 75gal into a smaller tank, no other fish besides kuhli loaches in that one). I currently have identified enough as males and females (many have bred but only one bonded pair, will not split them up unless they choose to divorce) to have a small group each in a male only and female only tank and will resell the extras that I can't keep. 

I know that there will still be some aggression but the worst of it seems to come from when they pair up to breed, especially from the bonded pair (which I've moved to their own tank) but I'm hoping to avoid something like that from happening again by preventing them from pairing up. Has anyone tried it before? 

On 10/24/2022 at 6:24 AM, janice said:

Hi! Has anyone tried keeping a male only or female only angelfish tank?

I was growing out some angelfish juveniles to resell but plans have changed (got one 75gal for them and moving my platies from the other 75gal into a smaller tank, no other fish besides kuhli loaches in that one). I currently have identified enough as males and females (many have bred but only one bonded pair, will not split them up unless they choose to divorce) to have a small group each in a male only and female only tank and will resell the extras that I can't keep. 

I know that there will still be some aggression but the worst of it seems to come from when they pair up to breed, especially from the bonded pair (which I've moved to their own tank) but I'm hoping to avoid something like that from happening again by preventing them from pairing up. Has anyone tried it before? 

I once tried a male only tank, they all tried to kill each other over a period of two weeks.😢