Interesting article about lateral lines in fish, and how captivity might (that's the keyword) affect them.

BeeD

https://www.popsci.com/environment/do-fish-like-living-in-tanks/

Spoiler alert, I find articles like this both interesting and annoying. This isn't the first time I've heard about a fish's lateral lines picking up vibrations in the water, but I hadn't realized that scientists believe it gives fish a 3D map including size and volume of an object. That was definitely interesting to think about. It reminded me of Daredevil.

I could write a short essay in response, but I don't know what the point would be. I do just have one question that I will set up really quickly. I can admit that living in a box must feel different. But is it really over stimulation compared to 400 square feet of shallow white water rushing over rocks and lapping at the shoreline? Many aquarium species come from that environment. Should I assume, per the articles comparison to constant loud noises and deafness, that these fish are rendered "deaf" by the natural environment they evolved in? 

I wish they would just call me when they have something concrete instead of planting that people are doing mean things seed. If we definitely are, okay, I'll change. Until we know, my fish look pretty happy and stress free. I can't remember the last time any of them acted like they know what a predator is. 

• Like 3

Well I ain't joining their data base (it's free to read but only if we can sell your email address).

I love the idea that living in the wild is eutopia and not full of nasty sharp things, nasty toxic things and many many things that think you might be tasty, I refuse to feel bad about removing something from a food chain or from an evaporating water source.

My fish are aware of the room and I would generally discribe them as curious rather than stressed or afraid. 

Who would keep fish if it was big box of angst

• Like 3