How much salt is too much for aquarium plants?

Any Huit

How much salt is too much for aquarium plants? – Aquarium Co-Op (aquariumcoop.com)

I'm just going to start a new thread here:

I currently don't have a separate quarantine tank, perhaps that is the wiser thing to do! Overall, my bettas have been very healthy, but I guess that's wishful thinking. I'm now treating one betta with what appears to be mild fin rot with the med trio. But I'm interested in trying aquarium salt, or at least learn about aquarium salt, for next time.

My only hesitation are my aquarium plants and snails! I found one article from aquarium coop (see link above) saying it might be okay, but I've also seen a lot of articles online saying salt is not safe for them.

So... what's your opinion, based on your experiences? Have you ever killed your aquarium plants and snails because of aquarium salt? Should I just make a separate plant free quarantine tank (I think probably yes!) and use aquarium salt there instead of med trio for mild illnesses?

Love all your advice & patience,

an overly worried betta lover

The amount of salt needed to kill a disease (9ppt) id much more than the amount that will kill most plants and is enough to kill most snails as well. 

When to use the med trio vs salt depends on the fish. For example, Meds are much harsher on livebearers than salt is, but the opposite is true for catfish.

• Like 1