Detritus worms

Zac

Made a post about this yesterday. I was able to snap a picture of the worm I found. Now there’s probably 50 or more in the tank. It’s like they appeared over night. I haven’t had any new additions to the tank for 2 weeks when I initially set it up. Only pond snails and plants. It seems like these guys just appeared over night. My hutch is that they’re detritus worms but I don’t want to add any fish unless I know the worms won’t harm them and fish can eat them

62B6FC26-001A-4A77-9930-80CB9658A4D3.jpeg

It does look like a detritus worm to me. Does is squirm free-floating (maybe one end attached, but the body is free) or does it slide along the surface like it's fully attached (like a snail would glide)? If it's more free-floating, it would be detritus worm.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:24 PM, AndreaW said:

It does look like a detritus worm to me. Does is squirm free-floating (maybe one end attached, but the body is free) or does it slide along the surface like it's fully attached (like a snail would glide)? If it's more free-floating, it would be detritus worm.

I’ve seen both. Looks like there’s a bunch of babies squirming on the glass but the big ones I’ve seen swimming 

You can do a youtube search to see videos of detritus worms, flatworms and planeria to see the difference. 

I had a post where I asked about some flatworms in my tank and there was some great info that you might find helpful as well:

• Like 1