Experience keeping julies, multis, and other less aggressive african cichlids with non african cichlids

Scapexghost

By "non-african cichlids" i mean fish that are not african cichlids not just cichids that aren't african. I know other rift valley fish are kept with cichlids as are one of algae eaters like plecos. But im more thinking of community style set ups w/ 3-4 species with one or two being an african cichlid.

Im interested in hearing what combinations you all have tried, and what worked and what didnt.

@Scapexghost I believe it would depend on the size of the aquarium. I had a 75 gallon with only multies and some Malaysian trumpet snails. I never wanted to disrupt the natural behaviors I was observing so they remained the lone species in the aquarium. Also they can get quite aggressive. Personally, I’m a rainbow fish fanatic and I did ponder adding about a dozen bows, however rainbows do best in a planted aquarium. Planting a multie tank can be a pain in the neck because they are literal bulldozers. It’s part of their appeal, so again I just left it alone. I’m not saying it can’t be done, I just didn’t think it was necessary. Good luck and if you do find a winning combo, please let us know. 

• Thanks 1