20cm Aquarium - Utricularia gramnifolia/Hygrophila pinnatifida

Previous 20cm Planted Tank in King County, WA

Here’s a description of a past setup I ran, a small 20cm aquarium. Below are the details of the setup:

Main Plants:

• Utricularia graminifolia: Used this as the main carpet plant, creating a dense, vibrant green mat across the tank’s foreground.

• Hygrophila pinnatifida: Mid- to background plant, known for its distinct, finely lobed leaves and reddish-brown tones, adding depth and texture.

Lighting and CO2:

• CO2 injection was crucial for keeping the plants healthy. I ran CO2 for 9 hours a day, starting 1 hour before the light came on.

• The photoperiod was 8 hours daily, which I found effective for preventing algae and supporting plant growth.

Filtration:

• The tank was equipped with a hang-on-back filter, which provided excellent water circulation and kept the setup simple.

Water Source and Maintenance:

• I used tap water from King County for this setup, which worked well after being treated with a dechlorinator.

• I performed weekly 50% water changes to keep the tank clean and the plants thriving.

While this setup is no longer running, it was a great example of a small-scale, planted tank, with CO2 and proper lighting making a big difference in plant health and overall aesthetics. If you’re planning something similar, I highly recommend the Utricularia and Hygrophila combo for small tanks!

IMG_0334.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2