Fish Folk

Whenever @Cory mentions guppy “whales” I think of this tank. Here’s a few females ready to explode fry. This is a 5th grade classroom breeding-for-profit set up. This right-hand side of a divided 33 gal long is “mutt guppies” and yellow neocaridina.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fish Folk said:

Whenever @Cory mentions guppy “whales” I think of this tank. Here’s a few females ready to explode fry. This is a 5th grade classroom breeding-for-profit set up. This right-hand side of a divided 33 gal long is “mutt guppies” and yellow neocaridina.

So that's what you call them! It's always so satisfying to see my endler and guppy females like this, because you know that they will give birth to a bunch of healthy babies.

Also, I'm curious what happened with the 5th grade classroom tank. Did they commission you to do it, or what it a project for school when you were an elementary student, or did you do it for a younger siblings class, or something else?

• Like 2

We set up the 33 gal long in the 5th grade classroom. It started out with summer-tub guppies, then morphed into an eclectic community tank, then we asked the kids what they wanted to do after New Years, and they said they wanted to raise stuff to sell and have a class party at the end of the school year. So, we’re raising Guppies, Neocaridina, and loads of plants. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Also, I'm curious what happened with the 5th grade classroom tank. Did they commission you to do it, or what it a project for school when you were an elementary student, or did you do it for a younger siblings class, or something else?

It’s going on right now. This video taken today. 

• Like 2

Love the term.  My whales are my favorites.  As they get older (they're about 2) and have more fry, their tails seem heavier and heavier, but they're huge and colorful, and I brought in some smaller tailed mails to try to take the pressure off the next generation!Guppy.jpg.960a02183704c0cf252bc50955bdf2dd.jpg

Edited by KaitieG
  • Like 2