Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

Hi, I'm not @Torrey, but I have kept a sparkling gourami before. They're really fun, and make an awesome croaking sound (similar to a frog), however they can be shy. Mine often hid below the heater quite often, although I'm not sure if that was only when I was around; I did't get to have her that long.

I'd also really make sure to have a lid for them. I put mine in a breeder box since there was a good chance it was harassing the shrimps, but it ended up jumping out, and getting lost under a piece of furniture. 

• Like 1

I second what FlyingFishKeeper said, and will add gouramis are also labyrinth fish like bettas. They *need* a lid on the tank, they need humidity in the air they breath, and they need lots of plants (to observe the tank safely from) and dither fish to help them feel safe in the tank and not be so shy.

• Like 2

From my experiance with gouramis 

Sparkliling gouramis are quite shy and need lots of places to hide as well as dither fish. I wouldnt suggest these

Pearl Gouramis can be quite aggressive and be abully. I've had one bully fish where they stop eating.

I would suggets honey gourami from what ive heard is that they are more freindly to other fish.

• Like 2

I think one honey gourami would be just fine! I do think it might be shy though without other fish swimming around the middle of the tank. It will depend on the honey’s personality. The two I have right now are SO shy, but the two I had before weren’t very shy at all. Regardless, it will almost certainly be less shy than a sparkling gourami.

A honey won’t bother your pygmy cories at all. They’re very peaceful, unless they’re guarding eggs (which you won’t have to worry about if you only have one).

• Like 1

Yep, that’s one of my first honeys in my profile! 😊

I think relating them to a shy betta is pretty accurate. I’ve only had two bettas and neither were shy, so I’m not entirely sure. Honeys are a bit zippier than bettas, and not as grumpy-looking.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...