Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

On 8/5/2021 at 10:24 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Personally I love the idea of a species only tank. Thought about doing that with my Otos many times. I'm sure @CorydorasEthan would agree with that. 🙂 

Definitely! You have the chance of breeding the pygmy cories in an species tank (they don't eat eggs or fry, just provide some moss to spawn in).

• Like 3

On 8/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, Just a Pygmy Corydora said:

Thanks @CorydorasEthan. There's no borneo sucker loaches near me, so are reticulated hillstream loaches OK for the tank? Or would getting 3 or 4 more pygmy corydoras be better?

In my opinion, a hillstream loach would be too big for a 5 gallon aquarium. I would say 3 or 4 more pygmy cories would be the better option.

• Like 3

@Just a Pygmy Corydora there are LOADDS of options! 5 gallons IMO are the funnest tanks. 

A pygmy corydora tank would be pretty cool, but at the same time not the most active.

A colorful option would be Killifish. Just make sure you have a lid as they are big jumpers!

Have you considered getting another betta?

A school of small tetras, or rasboras would be a neat idea as well. Probably around 5-6 would be a good amount.

Guppies or Endlers are SUPPERRR colorful and fun and another great option. Just make sure they are all males or all females. They will breed like crazy and will quickly make that tiny 5 gallon, an overstocked 5 gallon.

• Like 5

That will really depend from fish to fish. Bettas in my experiance are some of the biggest fish gluttons. Fish like the tetras, rasboras, guppies will be fine sharing food in my experiance. Especially if your feeding a mixture of crushed up flakes (smaller crushed up flakes will often sink) and regular flakes (these will float) you should be fine.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:52 PM, Just a Pygmy Corydora said:

What about the feeding problem that was consisting with Aurora? Will any of the fish listed above steal the catfish food?

Gouramis will probably pick at the catfish food, I know mine do. They do let the cories eat with them. A fish like endlers might not during feeding time. My endlers tend to eat flakes directly off the surface and scavenge much later throughout the day. My experience with schoolers is pretty similar. I have larger tetras that will eat flakes voraciously first, then lag with the scavenging.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, James Black said:

@CorydorasEthan You've bred pygmy corydora right? Any tips for @Just a Pygmy Corydora? If you didnt breed pygmy corys, have you bred simillar corydora species?

Sorry for the late response. Although I haven't bred pygmy cories, nor similar species, I have read on how to go about doing so. I found that if you keep them in a species-only tank, and use the traditional "cooler-water change" method, they will breed by themselves. They also won't eat eggs or fry I heard, provided that there is some plants or moss for the babies to hide in.

• Like 1