Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

I am really liking the rummynose rasbora as of lately. Its a blue fish with a red head. 

Other great options would be...

celestrial pearl danios (aka, galaxy rasbora), neon tetra, chilli rasbora, glow light tetra (not glowtetras, but these guys actually have a natural glow to them)

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, James Black said:

I am really liking the rummynose rasbora as of lately. Its a blue fish with a red head. 

Other great options would be...

celestrial pearl danios (aka, galaxy rasbora), neon tetra, chilli rasbora, glow light tetra (not glowtetras, but these guys actually have a natural glow to them)

Great minds think alike 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've heard a lot of good stuff about chili rasboras. They have a lot of red colour that from what I've heard develops a few months after getting them. I really want to get them when I get the tank space. (Although they are kind of expensive from what I've seen online)

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about chili rasboras. They have a lot of red colour that from what I've heard develops a few months after getting them. I really want to get them when I get the tank space. (Although they are kind of expensive from what I've seen online)

AquaHuna has a nice price, but they've been out of stock quite some time on quite a bit of stuff.

• Like 2

I'm already in love with my recently aquired Ember Tetras. They are small (less than 1") and not shy, totally fearless already, and super freakin active. Pretty bright oranges/silvers. (they are more orange now in my tank but they just won't sit still for a pic!!!!)

Resized_20210804_122857.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

Oh and I did want to say, you may want to get a Betta in the future so thinking about what might be compatible with one is important....the Embers will hopefully work well with my female Betta (as they were listed as suitable companions/tank mates for Bettas). I say that because after my last favorite died I said I'd never have another one....but I didn't last very long.....

• Like 2

If you're asking about Embers being good with Bettas...as I said my research shows them as potentially good tankmates for Bettas. There are always caveats to this though (this is for anyone aboutt to be a tankmate for them)- the Betta has to be ok with them and they have to be ok with the Betta. Even potentially good tankmates are bad for one reason or another usually because of temperment or territory, tank size. 

So the tip has been, put the tankmates in the tank first so the Betta doesn't have to protect the turf. When ready to add the Betta put them into some sort of separate container (like a floating breeder) let the others and the Betta seek each other out for some time. Then most say distract the others with food (I do believe Irene says this in a video about introducing Bettas) while letting the Betta out and just watch for any signs of aggression. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

Yeah borneo suckers would be a good idea! They are also called the Hillstream Loach. I would only do one though, I heard with two you can see aggression between the two. 

You could probably do more pygmy corydora along with a hillstream loach.

The hillstream loaches can eat pretty much what your pygmy corys eat but they will also benefit from some veggitation in their diet like algae, algae wafers, veggies, etc. 

• Like 3

I would like to clarify that Hillstream and Borneo are NOT the same fish. They look the same but Borneos (also known as dwarf hillstream) are better for nano tanks because they are smaller (max 2.5 inches), Hillstream Loach most often seen in LFS are max 3. That's not a HUGE difference, but like different kinds of cories there are also different types of "hillstreams". My LFS has lots of common Hillstream but haven't been able to get Borneo Loaches since covid (wild caught, the other bred). 

• Like 2