Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

On 7/31/2021 at 12:56 AM, Just a Pygmy Corydora said:

Do you think putting Aurora to sleep is the best option . . . ?

If she has no energy and struggling to swim and isn't eating the chance of recovery are small you could try adding some more epsom salt at this point the chance of recovery is small if you decide to let her go the most humane way would be clove oil only you can no when it time  

• Like 3

@Just a Pygmy Corydora So sorry for your loss. As you look back at Aurora's life, think about all of the good times you've had while caring for him. Death is the worst part of this hobby. It is important that you know that the majority of bettas are destined to the life of a cup. You changed one's destiny and this action changed the path of many other fish. Don't let this one experience soil the hobby, you could ask anyone on this forum if they have lost a beloved fish or pet, they definitely have. While Aurora is gone, you still have his tank teeming with life, waiting for you to keep their lives in the right path. SIP Aurora 

• Like 3

You still have your cory catfish, right? We would still like to get updates on them! And of course updates if you get any new fish. (Personally I wouldn’t mind updates about your land cats, either. 😉)

ETA: you could keep updating this thread, or make a new thread. Up to you!

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 2

@Just a Pygmy Corydora perhaps when your ready you may wanna get another betta. Of course Aurora was a very special fish so it may take a little longer for you to wanna replace him.

Another great option would be a pea puffer. Some great personality with them. They are a little expensive to feed as most will only take to frozen/ live foods.

But some rasboras or tetras that swim mid level would also be a good idea.

• Like 2

My personal belief- Bettas are harder to keep than most people let on. Part of that also includes how attached we get to them. This is nice but can pose a problem when we lose one especially when they were sick and we couldn't save them. 

You asked about keeping just cories- nothing at all wrong with that. Or maybe a few Otos (my personal favorite). Catfish are wonderful!

You could also go for a set of small schoolers- one reason why the're great is you usually don't get SO attached to individuals (though still not cool when you lose one). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 6

On 8/5/2021 at 7:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

My personal belief- Bettas are harder to keep than most people let on. Part of that also includes how attached we get to them. This is nice but can pose a problem when we lose one especially when they were sick and we couldn't save them. 

You asked about keeping just cories- nothing at all wrong with that. Or maybe a few Otos (my personal favorite). Catfish are wonderful!

You could also go for a set of small schoolers- one reason why the're great is you usually don't get SO attached to individuals (though still not cool when you lose one). 

I agree.  They can tolerate a large range of parameters, but seem to be prone to illness. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Thirding this. I'm a little frightened to try Bettas because I get attached to my fish, and I will fret a lot about those beautiful fins.

For what it's worth, @Just a Pygmy Corydora, if you do try a Betta again some day, you might want to look at plakat bettas. They have shorter finnage and don't get weighted down by their long extensions, and they are less prone to problems like fin rot. You may be able to enjoy their company for longer.

And remember, you gave Aurora a wonderful life and you did everything you could to help him through. I'm so sorry you lost him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Just a Pygmy Corydora, the entire CARE forum community is feeling your loss, many of our Bettas have names and  become pets. It’s sad that their lives are so short. 
If you’re thinking about some new fish I agree with some of the other folks on the Sparkling Gourami. I’m totally new to them but so far their personalities are like tiny Betta. They not  colorful, but they have blue eyes and they shimmer when they’re happy.  I feel like they’re a secret known only to enthusiastic hobbyists. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 6