Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

Not entirely sure of what causes dropsy, as I have never had to dealt with it.

But I wanted to say @Just a Pygmy Corydora, if the worst does happend (hopping that it doesn't) I hope this event doesn't drive you out of the hobby. Know that its not your fault. Some fish get sick, and you can't always treat it. You did the right thing and asked people for help the second you saw Aurora in distress, you followed advice of forum members. And its because of you that Aurora can say he lived a happy life, he can brag to all his betta freinds in fish heaven that he wasn't put in a bowl but in a actual 5 gallon aquarium with tank mates, and endless food!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so very sorry to see this. That's what, at least 2 maybe 3 very loved Bettas on this forum dying of dropsy in a short time. I think it's extremely rare for a Betta to make it out alive from dropsy. I stopped having Bettas for a while because Kimono, my favorite betta in my profile picture passed from dropsy despite my life saving efforts. I may have gotten rid of his pineconing, but I believe in the end the damage dropsy did to his organs were more than he could take. 

Take heart in this. You took extremely good care of him and everyone here that gave advice wanted you to succeed as well- having that support with a sick animal is priceless. I was trying to save my Betta before I knew about any forums and don't have any "fish friends". 

Also know this, there's really no way to know what causes dropsy- my Betta's tank was pristine. I tested all the time, his temperature was great, he got varied foods, he was active, friendly, seemingly the healthiest of healthy. I looked at all the lists online of "causes of dropsy" none of which applied to my Betta. NOTHING you did, as it seems it was the same for Aurora, caused any of this. Sadly it happens and I am very sorry for you and little Aurora. 😞 

• Like 2

I was up all night, or so I thought, but I must have dozed off at some point because then next thing I know, is I slept on my desk, with Aurora. I don't know if he's still there or not. The last time I checked my watch was at 2 am . . .

Is this topic done?

1701135421_AuroraRight.jpg.6be372e1a21f0336b58c23e6f65f7fd2.jpg

This is an old photo.

Edited by Just a Pygmy Corydora
  • Sad 3

On 7/30/2021 at 6:02 PM, Just a Pygmy Corydora said:

How do I know if Aurora is alive and if one of the pygmy corydoras are pregnant.

Wash and dry your hands and gently pick her up. If she does not move you know. This is hard I know. My heart breaks for you but she will no longer be in pain. 

• Like 3

I know you care about him dearly you have done your best. There are painless ways to help him not be in pain. I can walk you through it if you would like you need clove oil and he will simply fall asleep. This is not necessary but a step some choose. I’m not trying to be insensitive I cry for days when I lose a fishy friend. I’m here to help if you choose. Big hugs

• Sad 2

Sweetheart I’m very sorry but I have never heard of an advanced case of this type to recover. That does not mean miracles do not happen. You can simply wait and see I have done that before as well. He is your friend let your heart guide you to what is best for the two of you. We are all here for you. 

• Like 5