Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

1 hour ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

I fed them a sink wafer hikari, and they don't seem to notice that it's food....

They'll notice soon, you can also try feeding sinking pellets.

Maybe hes annyoed because your spending too much attention on Aurora and not him, LOL.

@Catfish_Lover_Jane you just got the corys, right? They may have been eating something different at the store, so they don’t yet realize the wafers are food. That or they’re finding lots of tasty morsels on their own, and they just aren’t hungry. The good news is they’re explorers and will probably find a wafer soon—soon being in the next two weeks. 😄 Keep offering a wafer or piece of wafer every day and taking it out if it’s not eaten in the morning. (Or just let the betta and any snails eat it!) They’ll find it eventually!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me: Walking past the fish tank.
Aurora: swims like an athlete to the surface in the feeding ring
Me: sighs and gives food
Aurora: gulps the food as SOON as I drop the pellets
Me: also gives corydoras a sink wafer
Aurora: tries to eat it, but throws it up
Corydoras: don't notice the wafer is food
Me: tries to walk away from fish tank
Aurora: goes up to the corner of the tank, watching me and begging for more
Me: walks away because overfeeding is bad
Aurora: sad fish eyes

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aurora's brain is always thinking of food. He comes up to the surface like in less than a second whenever he sees a person pass by the tank. At 7, when I normally feed him, Aurora is always waiting for me, like as if he would know his feeding schedule! Today, I hovered my two finger like a cm off the surface of the water, and he jumped up and got the betta pellet. Wow, Aurora will do anything for food. XD 

Edited by Catfish_Lover_Jane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the look of Windelov Java Fern. Mine is starting to thrive but had a long acclimation period. I had quite a bit of browning and die back. I think it’s normal, but be prepared. 
Also, don’t be tempted to save money by buying fish from a place other than Aquarium Coop, all the extra care a quarantine are worth the small extra expense! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

I love the look of Windelov Java Fern. Mine is starting to thrive but had a long acclimation period. I had quite a bit of browning and die back. I think it’s normal, but be prepared. 
Also, don’t be tempted to save money by buying fish from a place other than Aquarium Coop, all the extra care a quarantine are worth the small extra expense! 

I have bought all my fish I've ever owned from Aquarium Co-op and I won't stop buying fish from there any time soon.

• Like 1

Aurora leaped out of the water to feed from my finger today. The corydoras are schooling like crazy, and that's all I have to say. My water in my tank is REALLY murky, can I do anything about it? Temp: 76degrees, ph: 7.4 and everything else is normal. What is going on????

94C02EBD-2421-432D-9789-6D637DBB9430.jpeg.1711bfc06ccea63acdcf989bc4c10620.jpeg

Edited by Catfish_Lover_Jane
  • Like 2

Green Water. Its not bad for the fish but it is bad for the sight.

Heres how I fixed my green water:

1) find the problem. I'm assuming its your light so we will go with that, all though it could be how much ferts your dosing. Regardless if your dosing the reccemended volum on the back of the ferilizer.

2) turn the lights off, and put a towel over the tank. This will kill the green water. Leave the towel on until your tank is clear. For me it took 7 days, you can take occsionsal peeps to see how everyones doing. But for the most part keep it on.

I heard somewhere that putting a towel over the holes in the lid doesnt allow oxygen exchange. So try to leave at least one hole open. I dont knoe of this 100% true, but better safe then sorry.

3) now that your tank is clear go through the following to preventing this from happening again:

1) is your light on timer? No, i would suggest to get a wifi light timer. I use the Teckin Wifi Light Timers but the Co-op sells the Kassa timers.

2) dim your lights. Some lights come with a dimmer, most dont. I use printers paper and place that on the lid. @Fish Folk uses the cupboard liners that grocery stores use. To learn more about the cupboard liners click here

Here are some videos I found helpful. They also describe how to fix it if its caused by your fertilizer:

Heres a picture of what my green water looked like:

image.png.cbafdfd1a60c77bb5301c26cb8b18d85.png 

I couldnt find any full tank shots. But as you can see in the background, its very green.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 4

Hi, I just finished a blackout for green water close to a month ago, @James Black's advice works really well. Pretty much everything for me survived with a small amount of dying on the leaves, however I had to blackout the tank for 2 weeks. (after leaving the light on for too long yet again lol.) My advice is to wait until the algae is almost completely or entirely gone rather than leave some since the algae can reproduce quite quickly even when the water column appears fairly clear.1270991277_ScreenShot2021-05-19at9_56_58PM.png.8fd5f12c2a11bebab166e817eaddf350.pngI've since lowered the photoperiod to 6.5 hrs to prevent it coming back in the future; a timer is definitely a good investment. (My tank yesterday, apologies for the slanted camera!) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...