Just a Pygmy Corydora's Journal

This is my first tank, may I present to you: my male veiltail betta I got from Aquarium Co-op a week ago! I named him Aurora. He is in a 5.5 gallon Aqueon tank with a nano sponge filter, a pre-set heater to 79 Fahrenheit, with anubias nana, crypt tropica, water lettuce, and (dwarf chain sword maybe). With stingray light, feeding ring, betta hammock and mirror. I am planning to get a nerite snail and some dwarf corydoras in the tank too.

IMG_6375.JPG.6f3f182938ec839f50c2c7ba399d6b2a.JPGIMG_6400.JPG.9139454e6b754ccebafa8440f9c394bc.JPGIMG_6386.JPG.8eb219b56f54bd5496dafeef21fd5b9b.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

• Like 10
  • Love 4

I love his white tips! He is so gourgoues!

I assume that he has warmed up to you now and not so scared when you walk up to him.

Please continue updating about Aurora!

Your plants are looking really nice too! Some amazon swords would look really good in there as a background plant. They are super easy to keep. I see that you have some cryptacornes, just treat the swords the same way you treat the crypts.

What kind of anubius is that in the last picture?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

This is my first tank, may I present to you: my male veiltail betta I got from Aquarium Co-op a week ago! I named him Aurora. He is in a 5.5 gallon Aqueon tank with a nano sponge filter, a pre-set heater to 79 Fahrenheit, with anubias nana, crypt tropica, water lettuce, and (dwarf chain sword maybe). With stingray light, feeding ring, betta hammock and mirror. I am planning to get a nerite snail and some dwarf corydoras in the tank too.
IMG_6375.JPG.6f3f182938ec839f50c2c7ba399d6b2a.JPGIMG_6400.JPG.9139454e6b754ccebafa8440f9c394bc.JPGIMG_6386.JPG.8eb219b56f54bd5496dafeef21fd5b9b.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

Great first fish! Sounds like you're perfectly set up.

• Like 2

Okay, I got three pygmy corydoras (for now, I'll probably buy more in the future) and they are doing well, they got acclimated, and the betta seems to think the corydoras are invisible. The corydoras are wiggling like crazy on the sponge filter, and I have trimmed the water lettuce a little. I will try to post updates every day, or every other day.

• Like 2

Yes, and frankly, Aurora is starting to act like a corydora and he searches the gravel XD. I gave the corydoras some sinking wafers, and again, they went crazy. Here are two of them. The other one was hanging around the sponge filter. I'll probably get 2 more once my budget increases. I'm 14, so I can't really buy anything very expensive.

972701537_image_6483441(3).JPG.198378552ad36e0f2d00ca2c3cb90a5f.JPG

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Today, my betta has a small fin tear, I don't know why, it was in the middle, so it isn't fin rot. The pygmy corydoras are peaceful, so it can't be them...can it? I don't see anything sharp or anything . . . strange. It is moving on to the healing stage already.

I agree with @James Black post a picture if it gets worse. It could in fact just be the natural shape of his fins. The pygmy corydoras are very peaceful and don't even have the capacity to tear other fishes' fins, so it's not them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

That was weird... I just went to my tank and I saw a cory sleeping (idk what) and it uh blinked???? Do corycats have eyelids? They blinked!!!!

They do roll their eyes in a way that looks like blinking.🙂