Are these hatched BBS?

JaredL

• Administrators

Hard to say from that picture. Perhaps they hatched but died from "cooking" too long? How long was your hatch? You say they aren't moving if they are in the brine water in something like a clear glass?

Just now, Cory said:

Hard to say from that picture. Perhaps they hatched but died from "cooking" too long? How long was your hatch? You say they aren't moving if they are in the brine water in something like a clear glass?

I'm at about 20hrs at ~82F. I saw very few actually swimming when I put a light to the hatcher. These all sank to the bottom. 

• Administrators

I'd say it probably needs to go longer. I always try and do at least 24 hours personally. Usually you'll see lots of activity if the water is right and it's been enough time.

2 minutes ago, Cory said:

I'd say it probably needs to go longer. I always try and do at least 24 hours personally. Usually you'll see lots of activity if the water is right and it's been enough time.

Thank you sir! I'll give it a bit more time.

• Like 1

Alright, so I let my hatch go for about 36hrs and I still had the same results. There was a few more swimming around, but still a bunch of this golden orange stuff at the bottom when I turn off the bubbles. I'm thinking these are dead brine shrimp. When I smudge it with my finger it's slimy and clumps up. All the unhatched eggs would still be dark brown and mostly float to the top, right?

I'm hoping to get some confirmation as I've fed some of it to my tank and the fish seem to love it, but I don't want them to get digestive issues from me feeding them something I shouldn't. 

I have a box of little 10 gallon heaters that are preset to 78 degrees. I had the same result my first go around, after 24 hours I didn't see any movement but it appeared they hatched. Little did I know I chose the one heater that was malfunctioning and cooked the brine in the high 80's or maybe 90 degrees. I was a little slow to figure this out because the thermometer for my hatchery was in celsius. 😂 Anyway, to sum it up, I switched to a different heater and it has been smooth hatching since then with the coop eggs.

This probably doesn't help but I just thought I'd share my experience.

Edited by Bru

• Administrators

Really brine shrimp is all about getting the recipe right. It's like cooking. I use one Tablespoon of marine salt per liter, always doing 2 liters, and have the temp around 72ish, since that's what it lands at in the fish room. Takes me a bit longer to hatch but I get good hatches.

Do you have chloramine in your water? If so try using some tank water and adding salt to hatch. Chlorine can help dissolve egg shells, and usually isn't high enough to kill the shrimp and gasses out from the bubbling. Chloramine however, doesn't gas out.