Just excited and wanted to share

Sal

My daughter has accepted her scholarship offering and will be attending the University of Vermont in the fall to study Biochemistry!!  It has been a long process of applying and waiting, and we are just so excited to finally be at this point.

Anyone here attend UVM?  I've been to Burlington many times, it's such a great little city!  Excited to have an excuse to keep visiting!

I'm a proud Mama Bear!  Thanks for letting me share the news!  🎉

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Sal said:

My daughter has accepted her scholarship offering and will be attending the University of Vermont in the fall to study Biochemistry!!  It has been a long process of applying and waiting, and we are just so excited to finally be at this point.

Anyone here attend UVM?  I've been to Burlington many times, it's such a great little city!  Excited to have an excuse to keep visiting!

Congratulations!

Your daughter will be able to explain once and for all what pH really means to the forum!  @Streetwise lives in Vermont and being such a small place I'm pretty sure everyone knows everyone else there.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Awesome, @Sal! She will love it here. When you come for a visit, you could have a Nerm day at ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain:

https://www.echovermont.org

sturgeon.jpg

And if she wants to get into sailing, The Community Sailing Center is right on the waterfront. UVM has a club sailing team too.

https://communitysailingcenter.org

sailing.jpg

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 5

Biochem is a GREAT and AWESOME direction to go! Does she know what she wants to do with it? Pre-med? Grad School and PhD? Or Tech track to research? I took the tech track, and I love it. If I had been younger I would have gone for my PhD, but I am glad I didn't actually, I get to stay at the bench more this way. Techs make the discoveries, PIs just write about them. 😆 

However, you can set yourself up to do both if you think about it at the outset. Then both options stay open.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sal said:

TtPCMzo.gif 

Baa-aa-aa! Baa-aa-aa! (translation, "Congratulations!")

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Biochem is a GREAT and AWESOME direction to go! Does she know what she wants to do with it? Pre-med? Grad School and PhD? Or Tech track to research? I took the tech track, and I love it. If I had been younger I would have gone for my PhD, but I am glad I didn't actually, I get to stay at the bench more this way. Techs make the discoveries, PIs just write about them. 😆 

However, you can set yourself up to do both if you think about it at the outset. Then both options stay open.

She isn't exactly sure yet, keeping the options open at this point, although she is VERY interested in getting into the lab and getting involved with the research projects going on at the med school.  It sounds like she is very much like you in that she loves (loooooves) being hands on in labs!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Awesome, @Sal! She will love it here. When you come for a visit, you could have a Nerm day at ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain:

https://www.echovermont.org

And if she wants to get into sailing, The Community Sailing Center is right on the waterfront. UVM has a club sailing team too.

https://communitysailingcenter.org

Sooooo excited to check out ECHO - both times I've been to Burlington so far I did not have the chance to check it out.  She's not much of a sailor, but does love being on the water, so maybe she can tag along with some friends!  I think she is going to LOVE being near the lake.  

I want to go with her, I'm totally that mom.  🤣

@Sal, they rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards too. If she needs to purchase any outdoor clothing or gear, I recommend checking Outdoor Gear Exchange first, because they have tons of used, demo, and consignment stuff. Burton periodically has massive sales at their factory store, and there are a lot of ski/snowboard swap meet events before the season. UVM has a Ski and Snowboard Club, which has free bus service for many of the local mountains.

ReSOURCE is a local non-profit, which is a great source of used furniture, home goods, and technology. If she moves into a house or apartment, I recommend signing up for Front Porch Forum, which is a free neighborhood or town-specific mailing list, with local for-sale, giveaway, lost pets, tradespeople suggestions, neighborhood news, etc., all with real names. I have helped a few cats get home because of it.

Let me know if there is any other local knowledge I can provide!

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

@Sal, they rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards too. If she needs to purchase any outdoor clothing or gear, I recommend checking Outdoor Gear Exchange first, because they have tons of used, demo, and consignment stuff. Burton periodically has massive sales at their factory store, and there are a lot of ski/snowboard swap meet events before the season. UVM has a Ski and Snowboard Club, which has free bus service for many of the local mountains.

ReSOURCE is a local non-profit, which is a great source of used furniture, home goods, and technology. If she moves into a house or apartment, I recommend signing up for Front Porch Forum, which is a free neighborhood or town-specific mailing list, with local for-sale, giveaway, lost pets, tradespeople suggestions, neighborhood news, etc., all with real names. I have helped a few cats get home because of it.

Let me know if there is any other local knowledge I can provide!

YES!  I was going to ask about kayaks or paddle boards as she LOVES to do those!  She will be living on-campus at least her freshman year, but it sounds like a good majority of students live off-campus for their junior/senior year so I'll save these all for future reference!  I am sure I will have more questions as we move through the summer getting prepared!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Let me know some of her hobby or student job interests, and I can definitely share more.

BTW, our LPS is The Pet Advantage if you happen to come by car with a bucket.

She's a dancer, and an equestrian, a pretty talented digital artist, and a budding activist...  Aside from wanting to get in the medical/research labs, I think she is excited to get involved with the barn on campus, maybe join some equestrian activities, and definitely get involved in whatever arts are available in the area.   I really think the Burlington area is a good fit for her personality!  

• Like 1

@Sal,

It looks like UVM has an equestrian team, which she probably already knows about.

The Flynn Theatre is a downtown venue for a lot of performing arts. The Lyric Theatre is a local theatre company that produces musicals and other performances. A few of the dance studios that I have heard about are Lines Vermont, South End Studio, and Urban Dance Complex.

There should be a lot of art opportunities on campus, but there is also Burlington City Arts.

She might enjoy getting involved with the Peace & Justice Center.

The local independent newspaper is Seven Days.

I would also encourage her to get an Enhanced Driver's License, since the border to Québec is only 45 minutes north, and Montréal is only another hour north of that. The EDL lets you cross without bringing a passport.

If you are driving to drop her off or visit, my favorite way to enter the state is via the Champlain ferry route between Essex, NY, and my hometown of Charlotte, VT.

charlotte-ferry-crossing.jpg

I found a list of some Burlington restaurants that my dad compiled for visitors:

A Single Pebble, 133 Bank St (outstanding Asian) L/D $$$
Farmhouse Tap & Grill, 160 Bank St (burgers & beer plus) L/D $$
Hen of the Wood, 55 Cherry St (gourmet everything) D $$$
Leunig’s Bistro, Corner of Church & College (French icon) L/D $$
Many options on Church St, an open-air pedestrian mall L/D
Skinny Pancake, 60 Lake St (classy crepes, near the waterfront) L/D $$
Splash (at Burlington Boathouse on the waterfront) L/D $$
Trattoria Delia, 152 St Paul St (excellent Italian) D $$$

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Streetwise said:

@Sal, I reread your first post and noticed the scholarship. Excellent!

Here are my favorite places for buying used Subarus in Vermont:

Auto Creek

Snowfire

😏

. 🤣 She drives a used Nissan right now...  I'm guessing that won't fly in VT?

Also, do we need to get some patagonia?  Is that part of the dress code?

• Haha 2

You may live in a snowy state and already know this stuff. All-wheel drive is highly-recommended here. All-season tires are three-season tires, and you really need winter tires too. It might be worth thinking about where to store off-season tires. It looks like first-year on-campus parking might be complicated:

https://www.uvm.edu/transportation/student-parking

Burlington is easy without a car, so I wouldn't worry too much about any of this.

https://www.uvm.edu/transportation/should-i-bring-car-campus

Bicycle rental and bike share sound like great options, because they probably also have some sort of insurance. Combine those with what looks like free campus and GMT bus access, and easy walking, etc.

Edited by Streetwise

Regarding Subaru in Vermont:

I was bemused when during Howard Dean’s presidential run that we were stereotyped as a Volvo state.

My family is happy with the Subaru impression. These are all 3.6R units.

IMG_0807.jpeg.1ed8a4712ed29a40204d86c76c0df421.jpeg

Vermont is also home to Vermont SportsCar, who builds racecars for Subaru Motorsports USA.

https://vtcar.com

If you play any rally racing games, you may have green Vermont plates on your in-game Subarus.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2