I got some plants about a month ago from the coop my dwarf sag is producing some new growth but has alot of what looks to be hair algae growing. The Amazon and red flame sword are kind of stagnant they will grow new leaves and then have some die. And my scarlet temple is producing some roots above the gravel line but not doing very well. On top of all that I have a ton of brown algae I thought too much light may have been the culprite so I turned the lights down from where they were at first and they are on for 9 hrs I also found my temp was near 80 F so I turned it down to 74 F. I tested my water today and came back GH 25 ppm KH 40 PPM NO2 0 NO3 10 PPM PH 7.6 there are only plants in this tank but I have my java fern from my other tank in this on it developed what I thought was blackbeard algae and I treated it now it has black spots on it but otherwise doing great and producing baby plants and my red dwarf lily bulb is absolutely thriving so It makes me scratch my head why the other plants haven't really come back after melting back. I have easy root tabs and dose easy green 2x a week. 

20210407_095351.jpg

20210407_095309.jpg

20210407_095258.jpg

20210407_095336.jpg

20210407_095342.jpg

Edited by DannyBWell

@DannyBWell Lots more qualified people than me will be able to weigh in for you but my recent loss of control of algae was fixed by reducing my light to 8 hours and cutting the intensity. I have a Fluval Nano and so through the app I was able to cut to 60% intensity. The cut in intensity seemed to have the biggest impact. 

Ill leave it to others with more experience to talk all the other possibilities. 

4 minutes ago, PlaneFishGuy said:

@DannyBWell Lots more qualified people than me will be able to weigh in for you but my recent loss of control of algae was fixed by reducing my light to 8 hours and cutting the intensity. I have a Fluval Nano and so through the app I was able to cut to 60% intensity. The cut in intensity seemed to have the biggest impact. 

Ill leave it to others with more experience to talk all the other possibilities. 

Thank you for your input I will try cutting back to 8 hours tomorrow I was at 10 hours then went to 9 and it's helped I also cut intensity but maybe I can do a little more since all these plants are low light.

Edited by DannyBWell

I've had to wage war against black beard algae too. It is very stubborn, so be ready for a long battle. There are lots of variations on this method, but here is what worked for me. Each day for 5 days, take each plant and decoration out and douse them with peroxide. Leave out for just a couple of minutes, then place back in the tank. The BBA should turn grey, then vanish. Peroxide is harmless to fish and shrimp, and won't hurt the plants unless you leave them out too long. 

There is a "easier" method, but there is more work on the back end: treat the tank with 10ml of peroxide per 15 gal straight to the water, then turn the lights and filtration off for 1 hour, for 3-5 days. This gets everything in the tank at once, BUT I found that it also messed with the nitrogen cycle and my Nitrites spiked for a few weeks before returning back to normal. So, lots of testing, water changes, and adding tons of healthy bacteria.

I also cut my lighting time way back to 7.5 hrs.

Good luck, and tell me if you find anything else that worked! 

Edited by Laura Q
Misspell

Rosy Barbs are awesome to clear out hair or thread algae! 

I have a new tank which is 40 gallon and cycled it with media from my larger tank. My substrate is Fluval since it is a planted tank and and has fish. I purchased a new Fluval 3.0 from aquarium Co-op and have overdone the light versus the nutrients. Thanks to Cory, I was able to figure out that I was doing the wrong thing by stopping adding nutrients. Which then furthered my imbalance. So I've been working on correcting that have tried several things to try to get rid of the algae.  Spent a lot of time. Even tried Easy Carbon just one dose and then was concerned about my new fish so stopped. Then I saw Cory's video with Rosy Barb's eating hair algae. I have an extra 10 gallon tank so I set it up for colder water fish and purchased a few Rosy Barb's. I've been little at a time taking my plants from my 40 gallon and sticking them down inside the 10 gallon and within a couple hours they have the plant clean! I'm almost completed in resetting my tank. They are awesome fish. They are really cute and active.

Thanks Cory!