How many large sponge filters for 110 gallon stock tank?

Ambassador

I’m setting up a new stock tank outdoors that I will be stocking with some fancy goldfish. I’d like to purchase some Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters and I see the large size is for 40+ gallons. Should I be using 2 of this size for a 110 gallon or does the “40+“ mean 1 is sufficient?

• Like 1

• Administrators

I only ever use 1 medium in 100 gallon stock tanks. Bacteria colonizes on all the surfaces. I've always been fine with just 1 sponge to add the airation and be a source to clean out debris.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:51 AM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

To add to Cory's advice, make sure its also a coarse sponge, a fine sponge filter will clog and float quickly in an outdoor tub. But plants and algae will do most of the water quality stuff from my experience, the sponge is more there for aeration and mechanical

When people talk coarse and fine sponge it would be helpful to talk in terms of ppi - to remove ambiguity. I presume 20ppi would be fine - 30ppi is not too bad but most folks would consider that fine. I would think 10ppi would be too coarse for most people but these are my presumptions....

On 4/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, anewbie said:

When people talk coarse and fine sponge it would be helpful to talk in terms of ppi

Learn something new every day, never heard the term ppi. 
when looking into it, I wouldn't personally have an issue with using a 10 api sponge, but I wouldn't use anything over a 25 ppi outdoors. 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:48 AM, Ambassador said:

Thanks guys for the clarification. I see in one of the Aquarium Co-Op blog posts that the usb nano air pump can be used for outdoor ponds if kept dry but I’m assuming this isn’t meant for long term use. Should I be aiming for the AP100 instead and just combine the dual outputs to a single sponge filter?

I use an Aquarium Coop usb pump to run the air stone on my 100g patio pond. It works great! I’d try it first before investing in a more expensive pump. 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:45 PM, Ambassador said:

I’m setting up a new stock tank outdoors that I will be stocking with some fancy goldfish. I’d like to purchase some Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters and I see the large size is for 40+ gallons. Should I be using 2 of this size for a 110 gallon or does the “40+“ mean 1 is sufficient?

Take a look at comets and Shubunkins also. They look spectacular and are more hardy than fancy goldfish. 

CA818C4C-5814-4B46-B8BA-DAA1AAAD57E9.jpeg

AB83F615-1242-4758-A5E3-A35ED9E4FECD.png