Working on a new product. I would love feed back.

BBQRacer

1 minute ago, aquachris said:

Looking at the cup and scissors and tweezers, I wonder if the cup should be taller/longer?  

I actually am seriously interested in this design, how much are you charging?

It was your idea, I'll send you one if you pay for shipping.  Give me depth you think is ideal.

How deep is the cup now? 

I measured the tweezer tongs I have and they are a little under 11" and scissors are 10", looking on the co-ops site, its listed at 10.5" and 9.75" respectively and I see some on Amazon going as long as 15".    Maybe its something that you will want diff sizes depending on the user?  I'm thinking 7-8" or so?

When retrieving water from my tank for my test kit i used to use a syringe like you do. I find a pipette is far easier and faster as i can use one hand instead of two, squeeze what i need to fill the line and dump excess back into my tank all one handed. Try a pipette out and tell me what you think vs using a syringe. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

When retrieving water from my tank for my test kit i used to use a syringe like you do. I find a pipette is far easier and faster as i can use one hand instead of two, squeeze what i need to fill the line and dump excess back into my tank all one handed. Try a pipette out and tell me what you think vs using a syringe. 

Brilliant

What do I do with the 200 syringes 😄

Edited by BBQRacer
  • Haha 2

I agree with @Will Billy the pipette is infinitely easier to use. For your test tube holder deal for API master tests could you design in a lid or straps for the tubes so you can invert the tubes all in one go? Test tube racks are more useful if you can do your inversions for all your test tubes in the rack.

Also I love this idea. Especially since my stands were always busy holding aquarium equipment, unless I had a full cabinet I couldn't store aquarium supplies in handy locations

• Like 1

😲😲😲😲😲 this is probably the coolest thing I have seen in a minute I definitely would buy all these products.

If I could make a request with the cup/tray combo is there anyway to maybe have a hook or two to hold my nets? My biggest struggle is setting nets down somewhere and loosing them or throwing them in a bucket which is never close to my tanks.

@FishBroDyl this is what I was talking about

Edited by Krakens_tanks
Tagging a friend
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

@BBQRacer

This is what I meant by pocket for a magnet.

I did forget to say earlier I like your designs, and wish you design success.

I've created a design that uses two waterproof neodymium bar magnets. The cost on these are a little over a dollar a piece. 😐

Hopefully two 60mm x 10mm x 3mm bars would be strong enough to go through the aquarium and hold up the components.  I should have a prototype by Saturday Morning. 

8 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

😲😲😲😲😲 this is probably the coolest thing I have seen in a minute I definitely would buy all these products.

If I could make a request with the cup/tray combo is there anyway to maybe have a hook or two to hold my nets? My biggest struggle is setting nets down somewhere and loosing them or throwing them in a bucket which is never close to my tanks.

Should be pretty simple. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biotope Biologist said:

For your test tube holder deal for API master tests could you design in a lid or straps for the tubes so you can invert the tubes all in one go? Test tube racks are more useful if you can do your inversions for all your test tubes in the rack.

Do you have an example?  Does this exist anywhere?

They exist sort of. This is the only design I could find, but in your application it would be rather bulky. When we were in the field and had to do colorimetry we would use a large piece of parafilm and rubber bands over the top of the tubes. I think in your application the only way this would work is if you had a cradle coming off the wall, in between the color guides, with holes for clasped zip ties. Zip ties hold the test tube against the cradle. 

Test n' Toss Test Tube Rack Lab Specimen Test Collection and Transport

2 hours ago, Krakens_tanks said:

My biggest struggle is setting nets down somewhere and loosing them or throwing them in a bucket which is never close to my tanks.

@Krakens_tanks Basic hook that can be moved around and easy to add. 

IMG_20210408_155818.jpg.ead1e95b1adaaff8baf56c22dfc2aa9b.jpg

@aquachris Updated cup with hook

IMG_20210408_155747.jpg.72cab58c3714fe8d5682a62b3f328cd9.jpg

If you had additional baskets with holes in them, you could stack them on the cup and make a shelving unit 😄

Edited by BBQRacer
  • Like 3

Just as a suggestion. Punch holes in the sides of the cup to allow airflow for faster drying of tools (helps reduce risk of rusting) This will also make it lighter and reduce your costs. Keep the bottom solid to catch drips. But a waffle pattern to keep the tool up and water from beading on the tip where it contacts the bottom would help. Same for the tray, punch holes in the side. If you are really slick you get make one of the holes your logo, cause branding is the first step to marketing. 

Maybe some inspiration for another product. A java fern holder. A suction cup with small hooks attached to grab the stem and roots of a java fern to hold it on the glass of a tank. Maybe I can throw something rough together in sketchup...

• Like 1

So this is roughly what I had in mind. I originally wanted the hooks to curve a bit more...but that was beyond my quick and dirty skills. Anyway I think you can see the idea now. A velcro like device for weaving stems and roots through to hold java ferns with a suction cup on the back...bottom...non-plant side. Could also work for mosses, anubias...any of those plants which I currently forget the name of. The scale seems a bit off too. The base is 1" and the "tines" are 15mm.

Might work on this a bit more later. Or maybe riff on whatever you come up with, if you are interested.

Java holder.PNG

• Like 2

Morning update,

I ended up changing the design for the basket and cup.... I got rid of the cup.

@Krakens_tanks @aquachris

After looking at the Eheim multibox I decided to use a similar method to hold tweezer and scissor but with a twist.  No more filament and time wasted printing a cup and this design reduces the time and filament used on the box.

IMG_20210409_090109.jpg.2ded60ae9e8dc6d43a1b8faf4c126e15.jpg

IMG_20210409_094737.jpg.de4c9a390de8bbd45f0d70b4af11ab3b.jpg

Edited by BBQRacer
  • Like 5