Working on a new product. I would love feed back.

BBQRacer

One of my other hobbies is drafting and 3D printing functional widgets.  After expanding the number of aquariums in my possession, I decided to design something to help with water testing.  More specifically, tanks that do not have storage or flat surfaces nearby to place the API testing kit.  Below is the current design.  I was doing it for me, but after showing two other people on a local Facebook group, I got a few orders.  So here I am, trying to develop a product.  I love my job, so this endeavor is more for my entertainment.  I was hoping this group could provide suggestions to make the product better.

IMG_20210405_160822.jpg.49490f9c5016a178c07447395e6b7cf7.jpg

IMG_20210405_145509.jpg.3e7f1b48b54b2f92425894f0127030d0.jpg

IMG_20210404_104828.jpg.e7896bc7a7fcef0e1edd8d72103e50de.jpg

I think it has some cool features.  The test tube holder can be moved around on the aquarium using suction cups and a swing arm located on the back.  The swing arm is transferable to either side.  It can fold inward to reduce the profile when not in use.  I made the test tube and cap holders hollow to assist in drying. The syringe holder can move to either side.  I added a solutions caddy to keep the entire kit on the side of my stand-alone aquariums.  The solutions tray can be removed from the mount on the tank's side if you want to store it or add a basket for supplies. That is version 4.125612 and where ten rolls of filament lead the design. 

IMG_20210404_104838.jpg.6e41d81a7de2e0e73a4fec8f7636e851.jpg

IMG_20210410_102230.jpg.c95c5563f72d2fbbcbe24601a4d278f5.jpg

I would love to hear your thoughts or recommendations.  Full disclosure; Yes, I am selling it. It's on eBay and Etsy.  Yes, I started a provisional patent.  However, my goal is to make a product that will benefit the community.  If you have any suggestions or guidance (my first business venture), I would be grateful.

Some of my other creations:
Extension for a Fluval 3.0

IMG_20210407_183427.jpg.e87a58f840157ec7cffd91b57ea98bdf.jpg

Die to make PVC pipes square for finial attachment (Halloween decoration).
118994456_10220801198118609_5392669853617457875_n.jpg.b783effbe45f9e3cf2c6c0d93e78e077.jpg

Soap holder.
104167306_10220117330902356_6672333014120795052_n.jpg.376f82b990d5fbf6f347afaeabb841d7.jpg

Edited by BBQRacer
added photos
  • Like 13

You'll want to copy/paste the images directly into the message rather than using the link (assuming your using PC)

I really like the tray one that you have, it would be an excellent idea like when I'm working on tanks at the top of my racks for holding various things (plants, tweezers, etc).

• Like 1

I have heavily planted tanks to try to avoid testing as much as possible.  I can see how the tray would be more beneficial to most people. I was considering designing a system for holding tweezers and scissors; however, everyone would have different shapes and size tools. I was trying to think of what else could be beneficial to hang/mount on the side of the tank. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BBQRacer said:

I have heavily planted tanks to try to avoid testing as much as possible.  I can see how the tray would be more beneficial to most people. I was considering designing a system for holding tweezers and scissors; however, everyone would have different shapes and size tools. I was trying to think of what else could be beneficial to hang/mount on the side of the tank. 

Hmm maybe a sort of cup that you can set them in like a pencil holder? 

• Like 1

I don't have a Thingiverse page setup yet. I used plain old AutoCAD 3D.  I have Fusion, Mesh mixer, and Blender.

I've had a few incidents where the suction ups came off, but it's hasn't really been an issue. Typically I found it was a crap suction cup. I plan on adding an extra suction cup to each package. 

Magnets are a good idea; however, you would have to have something inside the tank. That seems to add more mess to the process. It would be visually distracting. You can barely see the suction cups when you look through the tank. 

Edited by BBQRacer

I designed a clip that slides into the top of test tube holder as another means for mounting. It got complaints because the lid on the fish tanks wouldn't close. My initial thought was if you used the hook, it would be for temporary use.  The clip was removed from the products on Etsy and eBay for simplification. 

image000.jpg.2b67b3b0f08f9a6991eec7ec0dd60a6b.jpg

Edited by BBQRacer
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BBQRacer said:

I don't have a Thingiverse page setup yet. I used plain old AutoCAD 3D.  I have Fusion, Mesh mixer, and Blender.

I've had a few incidents where the suction ups came off, but it's hasn't really been an issue. Typically I found it was a crap suction cup. I plan on adding an extra suction cup to each package. 

Magnets are a good idea; however, you would have to have something inside the tank. That seems to add more mess to the process. It would be visually distracting. You can barely see the suction cups when you look through the tank. 

I wouldn't call fusion plain old, it's fairly mainstream being as powerful as it is and free to hobbyists. I use solidworks myself but figure it would be good to dive into fusion eventually.

Every suction cup I have had eventually fails, If I were a customer of yours I would see a magnet option as an added value ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

Re-read what I wrote. I said plain old "AutoCAD." The 3D tools in AutoCAD are basic compared to Fusion. I use Fusion and would love to become more proficient using it; however, I have 20 years of CAD experience, so It's my go to ATM.

A magnet can easily be embedded into the print as you can stop the print a specific layer. What would you suggest goes into the tank?  Magnet or Plastic coated metal? 

I would assume you would need more than one magnet and whatever is in the tank would be substantial. I know the back of my Mag-Float falls off all the time. 

Edited by BBQRacer

13 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Every suction cup I have had eventually fails, If I were a customer of yours I would see a magnet option as an added value ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW each mount has 3 suction cups.  I added in a little over kill. 

6 minutes ago, BBQRacer said:

Re-read what I wrote.

NEVER! I only read things once and in a haphazard manner!

You don't have to stop the print to embed a magnet. Just CAD a pocket about .5mm larger than the magnet dimensions, Your print quality looks fine so it shouldn't have an issue bridging over the top gap without supports. Neodymium magnets are small and some even come pre coated in epoxy.

Maybe, unlike me, your typical customer has faith in suction cups and doesn't want magnets though, I was just trying to offer some feedback.

• Like 1

They are 3d printed.  I have two printers and another on the way.  

With my current setting,

Test tube holder, syringe holders, and swing arm:  6 hours 40 mins

API solution holder and the Mount:  5 hours 30 mins

Single Basket: 3  hour 26 mins

The basket and cup:  6 hours and 26 min

2 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

NEVER! I only read things once and in a haphazard manner!

You don't have to stop the print to embed a magnet. Just CAD a pocket about .5mm larger than the magnet dimensions, Your print quality looks fine so it shouldn't have an issue bridging over the top gap without supports. Neodymium magnets are small and some even come pre coated in epoxy.

Maybe, unlike me, your typical customer has faith in suction cups and doesn't want magnets though, I was just trying to offer some feedback.

You would stop the print so you don't have to be at the device at the right time.  I could come back and drop the magnet in at my leisure and resume the print. 

Your feed back is appreciated.  I need to do some research on magnets.