Semi-automated water change, which pump size?

outspoken

I'm currently filling up 5 gallon home depot buckets and walking them downstairs (no water in basement). It occurred to me that I could use a pump to fill the tanks from the bucket. Started looking for some cheapo fountain pumps for ~$10 and am uncertain about which one is going to be capable of the task.

I'd like to keep the buckets full of water on the ground and have the pump do the work of filling the tank. From the floor to the top of the water column in the tank is roughly 5ft. Seems that 200GPH is the minimum requirement for that lift with 1/2" tubing. Just wanting to confirm that with anyone else's experience doing this.

You can get a cheap 169 gph Chinese water pump from Amazon. I suppose it depends how quickly you want the water to get into the tank. 

I have used a dinky 25gph from a reptile water fountain to this effect with no issues. I think you underestimate the power of capillary action. Although the 25gph takes forever and used 1/4" tubing.

Edited by Biotope Biologist

6 minutes ago, Biotope Biologist said:

You can get a cheap 169 gph Chinese water pump from Amazon. I suppose it depends how quickly you want the water to get into the tank. 

I have used a dinky 25gph from a reptile water fountain to this effect with no issues. I think you underestimate the power of capillary action. Although the 25gph takes forever and used 1/4" tubing.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for. I actually want to have a slower rate so as not to disturb the tank. I was just concerned that the lower rate units would be incapable of the lift needed.

I'll try out one of the lower rate units with adjustable flow.