angelfish being general twerps since moving

Sal

Since moving the existing 4 angels over to the 120 from the 55, they are being dinks to each other.  😑 They are 2 pairs that were generally tolerant of each other before the move.  There's no fight-to-the-death kind of activity or lip-locking, and so far everyones fins look ok, but a lot of chasing, and bullying away from food, etc... One of my males is hiding in a corner pouting, and even my females are being mean to each other.  

Is this normal, and I just need to let it play out?    I have a "time-out" container I could try...  We also have a school of dithers in quarantine, but they are not ready to go in yet...  

Any other things I could try?  

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Sounds like your fish are healthy and thinking about spawning. Territoriality is often a precursor to laying eggs.

Don't they know that it bothers ME when they are mean to each other??  😂

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Sal said:

Don't they know that it bothers ME when they are mean to each other??  😂

I know what you mean. Watching the fighting can be stressful. But I suspect that is what they live for during the day and dream about at night.

Having a mate and planning for a family all the while fighting with your nasty neighbors is much better than ho-hum boredom. It's just like buying a house and then getting into a bitter fight with the homeowner's association, it gives you a reason for living.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I know what you mean. Watching the fighting can be stressful. But I suspect that is what they live for during the day and dream about at night.

Having a mate and planning for a family all the while fighting with your nasty neighbors is much better than ho-hum boredom. It's just like buying a house and then getting into a bitter fight with the homeowner's association, it gives you a reason for living.

Why is this so spot-on accurate?  😂😂😂

• Like 3

I had three angels in a tank. The two angels killed the other one. I thought at first maybe it was because of breeding, but three months have passed and no eggs. All though sometimes it looks like one is about to start laying eggs.

I've sometimes thought about putting another angel in there, just to see if they would accept him into there home. If not I would of course take him back.

In your case it sounds like it could be breeding, the change of enviourment could have put them in the mood (fish are weird...)

My angels did no lip locking, but chase the one around. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I had three angels in a tank. The two angels killed the other one. I thought at first maybe it was because of breeding, but three months have passed and no eggs. All though sometimes it looks like one is about to start laying eggs.

I've sometimes thought about putting another angel in there, just to see if they would accept him into there home. If not I would of course take him back.

In your case it sounds like it could be breeding, the change of enviourment could have put them in the mood (fish are weird...)

My angels did no lip locking, but chase the one around. 

Oh nooo...  I'm sorry James, thats really sad.  😞  

I read a few things yesterday that said adding more angels can help with the aggression, as the aggressor won't be able to decide who to bully, and with more fish there is less space to claim as your own...  But I am leary of making the problem worse, so for now, I am leaving it alone. In a few weeks after quarantine, we will add the school of cardinals, and see if that helps confuse them out of it.

We are pretty attached to these 4, so it would really be a bummer to have to separate or re-home any of them...

• Like 1