Anybody else have great plans for your tank then beep happens!!

Chris OB

Anybody have a great idea then put the money together and set the plans in motion only to have something throw a wrench in it. I finally pulled the trigger on live plants for my 40 breeder everything is arriving this week and then I look into the tank today and noticed ich on one of my rasboras. I just treated this thing and had been monitoring it for the last 2 weeks and everything looked good. But alas here I am now I think I’m going to quarantine the plants and treat my whole tank again really what I wasn’t planning. Now I’ll have to wait to order the rest of the fish I wanted. Sometimes this damn hobby is just a pain. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ken said:

Ich-X doesn't hurt plants. I've put in new plants during the med-trio (not on purpose, it was like the situation you have) and they did fine. 

Like @Kensaid, Ich-X will be fine with plants. I have treated several tanks with plants in and not had any issues. Now, if you are planning to use salt to treat, then you would want to keep the plants out of the tank until treatment is over and you have done a water change or two.

• Like 1

Presently treating ich with both salt and meds. I didn't over-do it on salt. It builds up gradually as not to shock the bio, plants, & fish until it hits a certain concentration over 4 days. Then I stop adding, unless I did a 20% partial w/c in which case I added a tbsp to cover the fresh water added and keep levels the same. 

After over a week, my plants are fine. With w/c I will slowly decrease the amounts for the same reason after. Frankly, it appears to actually be having a positive affect on most of my plants. Just make sure to dissolve the salt in water before adding it to the tank.  

Edited by DebD
Not enough coffee before saving
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for the feedback I truly do appreciate it. I went ahead and set up my 20long today with a new sponge filter and a couple squirts of easy green and threw the plants in there with a heater and hopefully my light shows up tomorrow or Friday I’ll keep them in quarantine for a bit. Bonus hopefully I won’t have to dip them