Pleco trapping

FrostiesFishes

Hello, just looking for a little insight on a rather unusual question. Everyday during my afternoon feeding I check my l333 , supers reds and l494 caves for eggs. Well today while doing the checks. I shined my light in on a 494 cave and wouldn't you know it I just interrupted a trapping. Needless to say I think I spoiled the whole event because I checked back later and the female was out of the cave and male was still in it without any eggs. Now to my questions A. Will they attempt again in the next 24/48 hours or is it completely random? B. I was under the impression they always spawned at night, granted I keep that tank fairly dim. But other tank lights and such make the fish visible. I’m curious because I’ve never caught any of my plecos in the act and now I’m going to be far more carful with lighting them up. image.jpeg.8c6d9f44d6baf4f629aeb6d987708a85.jpeg

• Like 1

We haven't worked with any of the L-numbered Plecos, but I assume they will attempt to spawn on recurring cycle. If you happened to have disrupted them this time, they might try again soon, or may wait another cycle. But at least you know they're getting in the mood!

Sometimes, with our Bristlenose, I think there's no eggs . . . when in fact  male is guarding eggs pretty well, and I just was unable to see them properly.

As for lighting, a small night-light in your fishroom won't hurt anything. Sometimes it's helpful, and can encourage night activity -- especially with Catfish.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, FrostiesFishes said:

Hello, just looking for a little insight on a rather unusual question. Everyday during my afternoon feeding I check my l333 , supers reds and l494 caves for eggs. Well today while doing the checks. I shined my light in on a 494 cave and wouldn't you know it I just interrupted a trapping. Needless to say I think I spoiled the whole event because I checked back later and the female was out of the cave and male was still in it without any eggs. Now to my questions A. Will they attempt again in the next 24/48 hours or is it completely random? B. I was under the impression they always spawned at night, granted I keep that tank fairly dim. But other tank lights and such make the fish visible. I’m curious because I’ve never caught any of my plecos in the act and now I’m going to be far more carful with lighting them up. image.jpeg.8c6d9f44d6baf4f629aeb6d987708a85.jpeg

Is that the l494 in the picture??

What a gorgeous fish!!!

I have a pair or L134's  they are really awesome fish! what I do is take my flashlight shine it off the tank while the room is dark and then start to shine it on the tank just until you can see inside the cave. Try not to go 100% all at once. Good luck!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...