Dwarf Gourami Flashing and Sinking

Sunny

Hi friends! You were so helpful with my last issue, maybe we can solve this one.

I bought a female and male neon blue dwarf gourami yesterday evening, and have them in quarantine. I had a bad experience with DGs five or six years ago when I first tried to keep them, and had about three die immediately in a very specific way. I thought maybe this time, with meds and quarantine would be different- but alas.

What’s happening now, just like before, is that the female started out hanging out at the top- then started going vertical. It happened pretty quickly, about 30 mins ago; the QT is in my office and I’ve been watching them all day. After that, she started absolutely spazzing out. Then, she sinks and breathes very heavily. Then, she’ll get the strength to float up, hang there still for a while, spaz out, arch, swim in tight circles, fall, repeat.

The male seems fine for now but I’m worried this might affect him, too. Is there a way to overcome this, whatever it is?

About 24 hours ago I bought them, put them in a 10 gallon with api gen cure, api antibiotic, and ich guard (a combo I’ve used before). I tested the water just now and it came back at 0/.25/0, so I did a 50% water change and put in 5 tablespoons of salt since I’m not sure what this is?? 

Any thoughts? People are out there keeping gouramis so surely not every single one dies in this very specific way??

0E75881D-AFF9-4D12-9BC8-27E5C465F5A9.jpeg

78AB810E-909A-4C75-8B82-6716E116212F.jpeg

There's a couple of things it could parasites swim bladder problems or bacterial infection its difficult to no for sure I would treat for parasites with general cure and API erythromycin or maracyn for a bacterial infection you could also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons 

Edited by Colu

I’m sorry to hear about your fish 😞.  The same exact thing happened to one of my new gourami over the weekend.  He appeared to be doing perfectly fine at first. I’m starting the trio meds and after starting ich x he became weak, laying on the surface, heavy breathing, then bloated. I hope your new one stays healthy. 

Me too... I’m a little skeptical the new female I have will make it. She’s already darting a little too much for my comfort. I wish there was something I could do that prevented the whatever-it-is. They’ve been at the store since Saturday, so I’m wondering if something between the store and home is just too stressful to overcome.

Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are somewhere between 0 and .25 (I did a 50% wc last night). I dosed some prime in there to detox the nitrites until I can do another wc this evening.

Do you think I can go up to the full strength of 1 tbsp salt for one gallon for the gouramis? 

I dunno.... it’s not looking good. The male still seems to be doing fine, but the female is doing the same thing the first one was doing and starting to spaz out, then sink... it’s just so oddly specific. It’s about 22 hours after getting home from the store, which is right when the last female started exhibiting the signs.

She's still hanging in there this morning, but still doesn't look good. All three came from the same tank & shipment. Maybe if the second female doesn't make it, I'll either a) give up on the females or b) try from next week's shipment......... 

The male still seems to be good, so far.

I've got some API EM erythromycin and tbsp per gallon salt in there. I put a towel over the aquarium to make it as stress-free as I possibly can. She's still hanging in there (literally, just kind of floating at the top). I'll update again in a few hours!