Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sal said:

Yeah mine would definitely be STOP TOUCHING IT (ie, leave it alone, let it be, etc...) which I guess is relevant in all aspects of life.  😂


haha, yes! I’ve actually killed plants while trying to rid them of algae. I want my tank to look good NOW. My wife, on the other hand,  just waits patiently and her tanks balance themselves and start to look great without much intervention at all. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:


haha, yes! I’ve actually killed plants while trying to rid them of algae. I want my tank to look good NOW. My wife, on the other hand,  just waits patiently and her tanks balance themselves and start to look great with out much intervention at all. 

Yea my wife ain't in the forum but we recently started our 40g planted tanks on the same day and we both a little competitive about the look of our tanks. I'm a neat freak while she lets nature do it's thing

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

Dear younger me,

Figure out your water, and find the minimal treatment necessary. It might be a bucket.

Skip all the other technology and go right to sponge filters first. Augment if necessary. Save tons of money.

Buy twice as many plants.

Follow recipes before improvising.

Check in with me in a few years.

I love that you wrote a letter. 😃

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Anita said:

There is. Although I do not know what the magic number is. You will know immediately when you have run out. 😎

ord.jpg.2da9c6514ae489dc42d97db38463005c.jpg

I have read the counter resets every 24 hours, although no one seems to know when that happens. 

 

Yea oddly enough I ran out like 5 post after you mentioned that lol I'm curious as to the reason for that. I guess to limit spam?

 

@Anita no problem it was just a fun little question that was asked of me and couldn't help but wonder others answers

Edited by Krakens_tanks
Rather add then right 2 messages back to back
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Krakens_tanks I believe something like that. Or more specifically, to give each reaction more weight and in that way make the reaction totals more meaningful. Having a limit motivates people to be more thoughtful about using their reactions. 

For example, what does it mean that someone received 3,145 likes compared to someone who received 2,921? The difference of 224 votes is around 7%, barely significant. So all those thousands of votes are, in a way, wasted. On the other hand, if someone received 12 likes and someone else received 2, the difference of 10 votes is comparatively quite large. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Anita said:

@Krakens_tanks I believe something like that. Or more specifically, to give each reaction more weight and in that way make the reaction totals more meaningful. Having a limit motivates people to be more thoughtful about using their reactions. 

For example, what does it mean that someone received 3,145 likes compared to someone who received 2,921? The difference of 224 votes is around 7%, barely significant. So all those thousands of votes are, in a way, wasted. On the other hand, if someone received 12 likes and someone else received 2, the difference of 10 votes is comparatively quite large. 

😲😲😲 I never thought of it that way... Explains why I failed math alot lmao but definitely makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Anita said:

Ah you give me too much credit. 🤭This explanation has been discussed elsewhere. I just summarized and added an example. Who does math in their head anymore? Not me! Hahaha!😵

Lol this is going to make me seem like a terrible person but story time hahaha

 

So like 2 years ago I found one of my old math teachers on Facebook as one if the people you may know my first message to him was "dude you lied to me, you said I wouldn't always have a calculator yet here I am typing this massage on one" thankfully he took the joke well 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have all said so much that comes to my mind too.  I think I also would tell myself to join this forum.  Since local fish clubs are not meeting yet by me, this forum has been such a wealth of knowledge and encouragement for me.  As well as a place where we can laugh with other fish Nerms.  Thanks everyone for at least doubling or tripling the enjoyment in the hobby!😊

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Krakens_tanks said:

Lol this is going to make me seem like a terrible person but story time hahaha

 

So like 2 years ago I found one of my old math teachers on Facebook as one if the people you may know my first message to him was "dude you lied to me, you said I wouldn't always have a calculator yet here I am typing this massage on one" thankfully he took the joke well 

ORD 🤣 He was probably surprised you remembered him at all! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

I think I also would tell myself to join this forum.  Since local fish clubs are not meeting yet by me, this forum has been such a wealth of knowledge and encouragement for me.  As well as a place where we can laugh with other fish Nerms.  Thanks everyone for at least doubling or tripling the enjoyment in the hobby!😊

Yes!! I would tell myself that there are lots—LOTS—of other people out there that enjoy fish as much as me. I felt very alone when I first started keeping fish because none of my friends were true hobbyists. Finding people to share your joy with makes fishkeeping 10 times better. And, if your spouse isn’t into fish, it makes your marriage better too. 😁

Edited by Hobbit
Hit submit before I was done 😝
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I felt very alone when I first started keeping fish because none of my friends were true hobbyists.

When it comes to  keeping fish, I still feel very alone.  I had not thought about it until now, but I would tell my younger self "nobody will want to hear about your fish.  A typical conversation today goes something like this:

Me:  Can I have that broken smart tv?

Friend: what for?

Me:  I'm building a LED light fixture...

Friend:  Cool! How?

Me:  ...for my aquarium

Friend:  Did I mention my brilliant grandkid's latest feat of skill...

If it wasn't for all of our other shared interests, I would have to trade them all in.😏

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tanked said:

When it comes to  keeping fish, I still feel very alone.  I had not thought about it until now, but I would tell my younger self "nobody will want to hear about your fish.

I'm so sorry you have that experience! For what it's worth, I haven't experienced that level of disinterest. I mean, I understand that I have a lot of hobbies that I explore on my own, but my friends and family are happy to hear what I'm up to in general terms. Something more like:

Them: What are you up to this weekend?

Me: Super excited to build a new LED fixture for my fish tank. Still need to buy some hardware for it though.

Them: That's cool. Hey, I need to go to the hardware store this weekend, too, want to go together?

Not that they don't care about me or my hobbies, or don't want to hear about it at all, they just don't have the same level of interest in the details, and that's fine, because I'm not necessarily interested in all the details of their projects, either.

Hoping you can find friends who are happy you're happy and will at least make you feel encouraged.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...