Shrimp tankmates for my betta fish

Cherry shrimp are a good pick. Make sure there's lots of rock piles and plants for the babies to hide in or else they will be a snack. 

Or you could do Amano shrimp, one or two of them. They can't breed in freshwater, though.

Or a few ghost shrimp.

All of these options would eat left over betta food. The cherries and amanos would also eat algae. You'd have to feed a little extra once a week or so to make sure they're getting enough. Algae wafers are also a good food for them, as well as crab cuisine for extra calcium. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jane Oh said:

I'm going to PetSmart today to get a shrimp tankmate for my betta fish in a 5 gallon tank. Which shrimp should I pick? What should I feed it? How many should I buy?
Thanks!

I agree with @H.K.Luterman, but the only thing is that PetSmarts do not carry cherry or Amano shrimp. They only carry ghost shrimp.

1 minute ago, Jane Oh said:

Okay, I don't have that of a heavily planted tank, so what would be the best choice then?

I would go for a snail instead, but if you really wanted a shrimp, look for a bigger ghost shrimp in the tanks that won't fit in a betta's mouth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jane Oh said:

siamese algae eaters or chinese algae eaters? or shrimp? or snails..? 

Siamese algae eaters and Chinese algae eaters will get way too big for a 5 gallon tank. Also, they might get aggressive towards other fish like the betta. Shrimp and snails would be better options.

13 minutes ago, Jane Oh said:

okay, whats the difference between ghost and amano shrimp?

Ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) are the ones more commonly available in PetSmarts and PetCo's. In fact, they are normally the only shrimp available in these stores. They are primarily carnivorous, preferring a more protein-rich diet than other shrimp.

Amano shrimp (Caridina multidentata) are great shrimp popular with freshwater aquarium enthusiasts, for the reason that they are excellent algae eaters. Unfortunately, they are not commonly available in chain stores, and you will often have to go to a local fish store to find them.

• Like 1

Just now, Jane Oh said:

so which is better for a betta in a 5 gallon tank? I clean every 2 weeks

I would say that either would do fine. Just choose the one you like the best.

Side note: ghost shrimp are much cheaper than amano shrimp, but are more likely to carry diseases, as they are often sold as "feeder" shrimp.

Just now, Jane Oh said:

okay do you have to quarentine them? I only have a 0.5 gallon for carrying fish temporarily. And a 1.5 gallon too. I don't use them right now. 

I haven't really had any experience with ghost shrimp, but that is just what I heard about them. I would recommend to quarantine them for a week or so just in case. I don't know what medications you could use though.

knowing that your betta has longer fins, some cherrys might work. Of course it would depend on the betta.

I would say get one cherry shrimp, see if gets eaten and if not then go back in a week and 6 or 7 more. They will breed lik CRAZY.

I dont think quarinting would really  do much as I dont think diseases can be passed down from shrimp to fish. And if it can, not many diseases will. Knowing that you only have a 0.5 gallon, no quaritning might actually be  a safer option.

• Like 1

Honestly, you dont need to quarintine. But if you really want to, I would do 3 gallons minumum.

If your doing snails, then yes you should have lid they do crawl out sometimes. And if your doing shrimp, then I dont think you do.

Edited by JamesB