adding new fish to my 20G high, new aquarium

alcidmr

2 minutes ago, alcidmr said:

how many fish can I add to my 20G high tank after its been cycled, and wish kind its best for beginner tank. 

new 20 G fish tank.jpg

Here are a few species that I would recommend:

• Honey Gourami
  • Endler's Livebearer
  • Neon Tetra
  • Cherry Barb
  • Cory Catfish
  • Nerite Snail

Cory's video on beginner fish is the best list out there:

In terms of numbers, it really depends on the bioload of your aquarium. If you put some live plants in that aquarium, they would also help a lot with the bioload. But right now I would say you could house one group of midwater schooling fish (maybe 10 neon tetras), one group of bottom dwellers (maybe a school of five Corydoras species that you like), and one more fish/group of fish of your choice (maybe a trio of Endler's livebearers or a pair of honey gouramis). Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing the finished aquarium!

• Like 1

thanks, looking forward my tank been ready to add fish my self 😃 .  yeah a love some corydoras they are real coo to watch.  I will consider those options and thanks for the Cory's video, and the aqadvisor web. will post pictures hopefully all goes well lol.     

• Like 1

I would personally do a colony of guppies and some shrimp. You'll get babies from both of them and then later sell them to your lfs for some money.

As long as your water parameters are in check:

• 0 ppm Amonia and Nitrite
  • 20 ppm of Nitrate

You should be fine. Live Plants will help you increase your stocking options because they consume those nutrients

@CorydorasEthan has recemended a decent website, but keep in mind its going to depend on your filtration also. If someone had a 300 Gallon Sump on there 20 gallon they stock way more fish then someone who only has a sponge filter. You seem to have a decent filtration system a Hang on back and a sponge filter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Betsy said:

@CorydorasEthan - thanks for posting that website!! 😆👍

Just checked my planned stocking and found out that my filtration was insufficient!  Luckily, I had a Co-Op sponge filter waiting in the wings! 😜

Also take note that it does not take into account the enormous benefits of live plants and upgrades you make to your filters (like intake sponges, extra sponges or other bio-media in the filter). So in theory you could go over the stocking if you have a sufficient amount of live plants and extra biological filtration.

• Like 3

One other thing I would suggest here is to add the fish gradually.  Maybe start out with 3-5 of something.  Then add another group.  It helps the bacteria population grow along with the bioload in my experience...plus, it's kinda fun to add new things, so it spaces the fun out!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ok I got another or a couple of questions lol. I have lots of bubbles in the top of my tank is that something to worry about?

I have post some pics. I'm just freaking out about everything just want to make sure I do everything good. again as you can tell I'm new to the hobby lol. an i still reading o on nitrate what sup with that lol.

fish tank with bubles 1.jpg

fish tank with bubles 2.jpg

Oh yeah I watched the video but I have no fish at all and still cycling the tank since March 27th and I can't get the those bubbles to go down and my test reading 0 KH, so I don't know is it's because the talk haven't cycled just not sure 🤷‍♂️

35 minutes ago, KaitieG said:

What's your test reading for ammonia? 

KH is a measure of hardness, so I don't think that has anything to do with bubbling.

35 minutes ago, KaitieG said:

What's your test reading for ammonia? 

KH is a measure of hardness, so I don't think that has anything to do with bubbling.

It looks like yellow which my test strip say is 0ppm but it's not and exact yellow dont know how to explain it not lime or green at all but is yellow light 0.ppm 

39 minutes ago, alcidmr said:

Oh yeah I watched the video but I have no fish at all and still cycling the tank since March 27th and I can't get the those bubbles to go down and my test reading 0 KH, so I don't know is it's because the talk haven't cycled just not sure 🤷‍♂️

I think that's pretty typical--you'd have super duper low levels even if any's in there, so maybe not the cause of your bubbles.  Cycling is always a little bit of a different time in tanks though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it just has something to do with that.  It doesn't sound real worrisome to me, and if the bubbles are still around when you're ready to start adding fish, you can look into it some more.  

Looking back to your original question too, I'd add my favorite first-time fish for a 20 gallon...longfin white clouds!  They are crazy super hardy.  They do prefer cooler water than some other fish, but they're pretty awesome 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1