Marnol D

I’ve noticed the substrate in my 20 long isn’t as deep as I thought it was/want it to be and it’s hard to keep rooted plants rooted and to insert root tabs. So I have three questions. 

1. Should I add more black sand or add black gravel (I want to make it easy for the rooted plants to spread.)

2.  Will the addition of new substrate cause any changes to the tanks parameter such as TDS, ph (it’s just normal black gravel or sand) or any other parameters I may over look? Since it’s my shrimp tank I don’t want to do anything that will cause a mass molting. (The most important question)

3. Will adding ~10 root tabs into the substrate mess with the water parameters or should I add them in slowly over time? 

What do you have currently for substrate? The only thing I can give advice on this is if you do the gravel make sure it's smooth otherwise it is possible to hurt the shrimp I have fluval stratum volcanic soil and that works great for plants and shrimp 

44 minutes ago, Marnol D said:

1. Should I add more black sand or add black gravel (I want to make it easy for the rooted plants to spread.) Add more sand.

2.  Will the addition of new substrate cause any changes to the tanks parameter such as TDS, ph (it’s just normal black gravel or sand) or any other parameters I may over look? Since it’s my shrimp tank I don’t want to do anything that will cause a mass molting. (The most important question) Gravel and sand are relatively inert.

3. Will adding ~10 root tabs into the substrate mess with the water parameters or should I add them in slowly over time? Only add root tabs near the base of rooted plants. Root tabs are slow release enough so that they typically don't alter water quality.

• Thanks 1

I would stick with sand then but I have never had a planted tank so for that I would suggest researching but in my opinion sand would be easier for the plants to grow and again just my opinion add in new substrate slow and watch the water parameters also adding it slow will decrease how cloudy the tank will get and dust everything (that last part is from experience adjusting the sand bed in my new tank)