Puget Sound Driftwood

Emily M

Hi all! Have a question. Was out at the beach (salt water) and found this AMAZING piece of driftwood. I’m a freshest tank gal, but was hoping I could use this piece sometime. Can I soak it? Months? What are your thoughts! 2C5DCCAA-36E8-4C31-AF7A-A17087A350FD.jpeg.6b35d92b52ebfc1bba5d1b71ea9c7b40.jpeg

562D242F-BCB2-408F-906C-86667BF499C8.jpeg

• Like 4

I’ve also collected some nice drift wood. My gut says to just give it a light pressure wash and soak for a day or two. I’m going to use it for a new tank so I’ll have time to test parameters before adding fish. 

Is yours from Puget Sound? 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

I’ve also collected some nice drift wood. My gut says to just give it a light pressure wash and soak for a day or two. I’m going to use it for a new tank so I’ll have time to test parameters before adding fish. 

Is yours from Puget Sound? 

Yes, from Puget Sound. I’m planning on setting up a big tank in a few months, so I cannot wait to use it!

13 minutes ago, Emily M said:

Yes, from Puget Sound. I’m planning on setting up a big tank in a few months, so I cannot wait to use it!

Great, I’ll be the guinea pig then. I’ll be setting up my 75 today or early next week. I’ll post updates. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m about 10 days in with my foraged Puget Sound driftwood. I’ve seen a a few blobs of thick whiteish biofilm, but that seems to be clearing up. There’s some algae starting, but nothing major. My water parameters are similar to my other tanks so I’m pretty happy so far and the look is great. 

5B9F5626-921E-4749-99C2-D82C4E785E5B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m about 10 days in with my foraged Puget Sound driftwood. I’ve seen a a few blobs of thick whiteish biofilm, but that seems to be clearing up. There’s some algae starting, but nothing major. My water parameters are similar to my other tanks so I’m pretty happy so far and the look is great. 

5B9F5626-921E-4749-99C2-D82C4E785E5B.jpeg

That looks amazing!!! Nice work. What are you stocking in there??

• Like 1