What is my snail doing?

Sal

Newby snail owner, and kinda fascinated by these guys...  But what are they doing?  I've seen at least 3 of them doing this now, my kids have started calling it "making sandcastles" which honestly does kinda seem correct? LOL!  🤷‍♀️😂

They just kinda stop in their tracks, make a little pile in the substrate, sit there for a few minutes, sometimes flop over, and then eventually they move along about their day?  The first time I saw it, I thought it was dying, but, nope?  It's been about a week now, and every once in a while I see them doing it?

I am genuinely confused... Here's a pic?

IMG_5024.jpg.8b218a1b0366c4d6ba0e8d8e0f018a85.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sal said:

Newby snail owner, and kinda fascinated by these guys...  But what are they doing?  I've seen at least 3 of them doing this now, my kids have started calling it "making sandcastles" which honestly does kinda seem correct? LOL!  🤷‍♀️😂

They just kinda stop in their tracks, make a little pile in the substrate, sit there for a few minutes, sometimes flop over, and then eventually they move along about their day?  The first time I saw it, I thought it was dying, but, nope?  It's been about a week now, and every once in a while I see them doing it?

I am genuinely confused... Here's a pic?

What @Colu @H.K.Luterman said. As long as they start moving again, I wouldn't be overly concerned. 🐌 And I agree, snails are awesome! 🤩

• Like 1

@Salmystery snails are fascinating. As stated above, it’s probably just digging for food. Out of everything I own, my mystery snails always have the ability to grab my attention from across the room. They are inquisitive and extremely derpy. I could watch them just trail around any random aquarium and it’s very peaceful. You haven’t lived til you’ve seen a mystery snails scaling up a super long piece of Val. Good luck to you and enjoy them. 

• Like 2

hahaha, I'll wake up and see little holes in the sand ALL them time. I knew it was the snail doing it, but never knew why. I thought maybe they didnt like the light so they tried to hid underneath the sand 🤷‍♂️

I used to have small little monte carlo that the snail would dig up all the time, that was really annoying.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1