Calcium for snails

RyanU

Has anybody ever used the Zoo med turtle bone for a calcium supplement for mystery snails. I was looking for wonder shells and the lady said she uses these for her snails. If you have I was wondering how you get them to sink. I broke a piece of yesterday and threw it in a cup of tank water that I scoped out and I checked it this morning and it’s still flowing. 

9C844179-D8B5-4822-A368-99A99E664594.jpeg

It looks like a cuttlebone. They do float for a bit, but will eventually sink. I have a couple in my ten gallon tank to help out my snails in there. They floated for a day or two, then sank. If you had a rock or stone in the tank, you can weigh it down with that until it sinks on its own. (By the way, you can buy cuttlebone in the pet bird supplies part of pet stores for next to nothing.)

3 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

I do use Repashy products & sometimes mix in some calcium carbonate from pure antacid tablets.  The snails seemed to like that.  Plus, the gel based foods will stick around awhile, instead of being eaten too quickly by the fish, etc.  

Even easier than crushing antacid tablets, you can buy food grade CaCO₃ (calcium carbonate) powder from a winemaking shop. CaCO₃ is used to raise the pH of acidic wine. And it's cheap; I purchased 1 pound for about $6. 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anita said:

Even easier than crushing antacid tablets, you can buy food grade CaCO₃ (calcium carbonate) powder from a winemaking shop. CaCO₃ is used to raise the pH of acidic wine. And it's cheap; I purchased 1 pound for about $6. 😎

That is a good idea, too.  See, I learn something new everyday, LOL.  I try to use what I have on hand though, but will have to try your suggestion.  Thanks.  

My Mystery Snail’s shell is looking so bad. I tried cuttlebone and it didn’t help at all. Still have a piece in the tank. I have city water which had no hardness. I add a small amount of crushed coral and my hardness jumped. I finally got most the coral out but it was still testing very hard so I tested the city water & it was the problem. It’s been a year now with hard city water but my poor snail looks worse every day. I ordered Mini Original Banquet Feeding Block with calcium and just received it today.  Now I’m trying to figure out how the snail can get any before the fish finish it off. 
I’ve heard of the antacid but could only buy flavors & didn’t know which to buy. I use tums in my garden. 
Thanks for the wine making calcium  carbonate tip. I will look for some.