African Cichlid Suggestion Box

Fish Folk

Alrighty: got a 55 gal. assorted Malawi Mbuna tank that we want to move all fish out of, and begin focusing on colonizing with ONE line / species of African Cichlid. Our goal is not to make profit, per say, by selling fry. But to produce an absolutely beautiful Cichlid that we can be very happy with. Some parameters, before you share suggestions: we are not interested in tiny, shy, adorable, rare Tanganyikan neos, shell dwellers, calvus, etc. We want rich colors... beauty... but, at the same token, mostly tired of common peacock color morphs. Not interested in the common mbunas... Auratus, Acei, Red Zebras, Cobalt blues, Johannis, or Giraffe Haps.

Given that, what would you suggest for a new African Cichlid species only tank?

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

Alrighty: got a 55 gal. assorted Malawi Mbuna tank that we want to move all fish out of, and begin focusing on colonizing with ONE line / species of African Cichlid. Our goal is not to make profit, per say, by selling fry. But to produce an absolutely beautiful Cichlid that we can be very happy with. Some parameters, before you share suggestions: we are not interested in tiny, shy, adorable, rare Tanganyikan neos, shell dwellers, calvus, etc. We want rich colors... beauty... but, at the same token, mostly tired of common peacock color morphs. Not interested in the common mbunas... Auratus, Acei, Red Zebras, Cobalt blues, Johannis, or Giraffe Haps.

Given that, what would you suggest for a new African Cichlid species only tank?

I would do convicts I’ve never kept more than one in a tank though as they are very  aggressive and can only live with bigger more aggressive chiclids but in a species only tank they might be more interested in other things 

Edited by Angelfishlover

2 hours ago, Angelfishlover said:

I would do convicts I’ve never kept more than one in a tank though as they are very  aggressive and can only live with bigger more aggressive chiclids but in a species only tank they might be more interested in other things 

Thanks for the input! But Convicts are New World Cichlids, not Africans. We did a breeding project with them a year ago, if you’re interested in a watch...

Agreed Tropheus can be incredible!  They are on my list long term.  I prefer a single species colony myself.  Once my silly tank gets in (everything seems to take longer during the pandemic!), I'm going to be setting up a 280 with Chindongo saulosi.  Not sure if these are too "common" or too "beginner" for you, but the males are blue, and juveniles as well as females are yellow.  Two distinctly beautiful fish for one species!  Anyhow, that's the direction I am going right now.  But if you go with any Tropheus species, please post about it here, as I'll be very interested! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Agreed Tropheus can be incredible!  They are on my list long term.  I prefer a single species colony myself.  Once my silly tank gets in (everything seems to take longer during the pandemic!), I'm going to be setting up a 280 with Chindongo saulosi.  Not sure if these are too "common" or too "beginner" for you, but the males are blue, and juveniles as well as females are yellow.  Two distinctly beautiful fish for one species!  Anyhow, that's the direction I am going right now.  But if you go with any Tropheus species, please post about it here, as I'll be very interested! 

Thanks for the input! I think we might skip those sort of mbunas — we’d go with the Johanni, if that was a direction we were thinking. 

• Like 1