How to have driftwood without tanis in your aquarium?

I have been tempted to put driftwood in 6 of my aquariums yet whenever I did this, it always ends up leaving A LOT of tanis behind. I am okay with some tanis because I know there it is beneficial, but I do want some of those tanks as clear as possible. I have soaked a piece of driftwood for over half a year yet after I put it back into a tank, it didn't make a difference. Would boiling help? I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

I put a piece of spiderwood in my 37 gallon after soaking in hot water for 4 days.  It was too large for me to boil, so I would put as hot water as possible into the rubbermaid and changed anytime it cooled down.  I find myself now, a month later, changing water twice every week to combat the tannins, but I enjoy giving the fish the structure to swim around so don't want to lose it.  

I feel your pain. I got a GIANT piece of driftwood, too big to boil. So big that I didn't have to worry about it sinking because it is wedged into the tank under the rim. It was old and had been tumbled in the sea for a year or two. I scrubbed it and picked off all the remaining shreds of bark. It still turned the water coffee brown for a week of water changes, then strong tea for a month. Now it is like green tea. Right after a water change it is almost clear for a day or so. Sigh. I am ready for the clear water that was so beautiful the day I put it in the tank...

day 1

IMG_20200714_145109.jpg.31b8153f8cd83c634a2f8ecc99bb529d.jpg

day 56?

IMG_20200812_141438.jpg.2a88ba546761b3aafc93370585da50a5.jpg

If you can than boil it a lot but if you can't soaking it and changing out the water in the tub frequently. In my case the wood would have been to heavy to lift wet as it was about a 100 pound piece so I have to do a lot of carbon and 50% water changes to keep up on it. that is doing pretty well at keeping the tank clear but I'm on month 5 and it still doesn't sink lol. Here are some before and this week

@Brandy, I'm jealous, that piece looks beautiful!

@Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics, generally agree with the other posters here. I have maybe 30 lbs of driftwood in a 75 g. I boiled them in the largest pot I could find 3-4 times for an hour+ each. Some of the pieces I had to flip and twist a few times because the whole piece wouldn't fit in at once. The pot water was never 100% clear after boiling, but it'd get slightly clearer each time. Purigen took care of the rest so the tank water never darkened. Haven't got my hands on a piece too big to boil yet, but I'd guess that if you're able to get some water flow that might help speed up the process in lieu of heat.

I added a bulky piece of Mopani to my 40 breeder at the same time I was recharging my Purigen.  In about an hour or two, I had a very close to blackwater tank.  I put the Purigen back in and it was pretty clean in a couple of hours.  I notice a littel bit of tannin, but not much at all.

14 minutes ago, Rouxster said:

I added a bulky piece of Mopani to my 40 breeder at the same time I was recharging my Purigen.  In about an hour or two, I had a very close to blackwater tank.  I put the Purigen back in and it was pretty clean in a couple of hours.  I notice a littel bit of tannin, but not much at all.

Yup, I've not used it yet, but have a 53 gallon currently cycling with a large piece of driftwood, and plan to use it once its cycled. A few youtube vids agreed that it worked in this regard, as does this (specifically the tannic acid absorption claim):

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-4-6-purigen/

I'm just waiting until the tank is cycled before trying it.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yup, I've not used it yet, but have a 53 gallon currently cycling with a large piece of driftwood, and plan to use it once its cycled. A few youtube vids agreed that it worked in this regard, as does this (specifically the tannic acid absorption claim):

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-4-6-purigen/

I'm just waiting until the tank is cycled before trying it.

What's interesting about that article is that when I had "only" (lol) 2 aquariums, I had Purigen in both of the Aquaclears.   I would have sworn that it was the reason for my water being so clear and ammonia free.  Then my youngest son wanted an aquarium, so we got him a 10 gallon with an Aquaclear and I didn't have Purigen, so I didn't put it in.  That was about a month ago.  The parameters are just as good as my other two and it's crystal clear.

As for it removing the tannins, it works great.  I still stand behind that, like the article said.  I know tannins don't just disappear in a couple of hours.

49 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

I had a bad experience recharging Purigen when I tried it a couple of years ago. If anyone chooses to do that, please get good instructions, and follow them carefully. Maybe someone can share them in this thread or a dedicated Purigen thread.

I have recharged mine 2 or 3 times so far.  I use the directions from the FAQ on the Purigen product page.  I put the link below.  You have to follow the EXACT instructions.

Seachem Purigen