Little cories!

Fishdude

Just now, Frankie said:

Am Kinda curious on how many Cory’s should be put in a 29G I have a spare one was thinking of just Cory’s???  
Thank you guys for your time!!!

Frank

An all Corydoras tank will be awesome! I am trying to do something similar in my 29 gallon, just with some endlers as well to kind of fill up the top levels. In terms of numbers, it really depends on the species. With larger species like albinos/bronze or peppers, only go for around seven or eight of them. But if you are going something like pygmy cories, do more than twenty! Hope this helps.

I would say get one type for now, focus on a species that's locally available and that you really like. They'll do okay in a mixed group, but they really do well with 6 or more of the same species. So all of what I have at peppered cories (except for one panda who swims alone that I saved from Petco). I think you'll get more enjoyment and the fish will be happier if you focus on one species. Cory from Aquarium Co-op just posted a good video about value fish for beginners. He actually suggests albinos against a black substrate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOOfGW7eAk&t=389s

For a 29 gallon some danios and/or white clouds would fill in the middle level of the tank as well. That would add some interest!

Peppered cories are my personal favorite (and why I have so many of them) but find one you like and go with that species. Just make sure they get enough to eat!

• Like 1

I was looking at Cory’s vid on that I also was goin to give AquaHuna a shot but I get the local thing also   Now the thinking begins !!! Lol.  Moving some tanks around to get the 29G goin    Thank you for tips will keep ya updated with some pics!!!   Thanks man!!

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie said:

Thanks for the ideas Ethan!!!!

No problem! I hope on doing the same kind of community as you in this tank! Hopefully I will be able to find one more species of Corydoras. I am looking for C. elegans, but if not, I plan on pandas or juliis. Here's a link to my journal on the tank:

You guys would find this cool - I had the idea to get a 50 gallon low-boy from ZooMed and make it like a huge corydora tank with a variety of species. The nearest store to me that sells the tank is a few hours away so it may be awhile but I'm thinking of keeping a few colonies together in a tank with a huge substrate area like that (the 50g is 48"L by 24"W by 10"H). 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fishdude said:

You guys would find this cool - I had the idea to get a 50 gallon low-boy from ZooMed and make it like a huge corydora tank with a variety of species. The nearest store to me that sells the tank is a few hours away so it may be awhile but I'm thinking of keeping a few colonies together in a tank with a huge substrate area like that (the 50g is 48"L by 24"W by 10"H). 

Yes please do a journal on this on the forum! What species do you plan on? 

The best part about raising little corydoras is that in planted and established tanks with established sponge filters, they really don't require the level of care to raise that you see in some videos. I had about 6 of them escape my net into the 20 gallon tank and I'm now seeing them bigger and swimming around, presumably eating the mulm and softened food I leave for some snails. There's a lot of good plant material in there as well. The little guys in the breeder net are doing well and the ones down below hiding in the wood and plants are just as big. Nothing special done (although I do still add some Hikari first bites each day just to be sure). I don't have a brine shrimp hatchery going but these little fry are doing just fine!

Good ideas Dude. I’ll keep all this in mind got a local store that will trade some fish for  some corydoras I’ve got a 4 in Pleco and 3 in Chinese algae eater and a ton of good lookin fancy guppies should be a good start!!

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Good ideas Dude. I’ll keep all this in mind got a local store that will trade some fish for  some corydoras I’ve got a 4 in Pleco and 3 in Chinese algae eater and a ton of good lookin fancy guppies should be a good start!!

Nice, good luck Frankie! Let us know when you get some cories going.