Hey everyone.  I bought one of co ops sponge filters a few weeks ago and during a water change noticed the flow all but stopped.  I figured it needed cleaned.  Prior to this there were a ton of large bubbles coming out and now almost none at all.  I cleaned the sponge very thoroughly in tank water sever times and it’s pretty clean now but the bubble production only slightly increased.  Any ideas?  

The sponge doesn’t have anything to do with the bubbles, its the flow of the air pump. You could have a pump going bad or possibly the line is crimped somewhere not allowing the air to flow as much as it was. If you have an air stone connected, that may be becoming clogged. I would start there first. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I just added additional info that it seems the air stone is maybe clogged.  The pump seems to be running just fine.  Is there a way to take apart the never clog air stone to check for blockage? 

An underpowered pump wouldn’t change because of a water change as you mentioned above. Did you check to see if the tubing came off the pump and air is escaping? There are only 4 parts to the set up of a sponge filter. Pump, tubing, air stone and filter itself. 2 of those supply the air, the pump and the tubing. The problem has to be one or the other. As I said earlier, tubing could be crimped or getting cut off by the lid or something or partially came off the pump. Second thing is that the pump has a problem and may be time for a new one. It could have been coincidental that the pump had a problem during a water change. As @Dwayne Brownsaid above, get another piece of tubing and hook it to your pump and put the other end in the water to make sure you are getting air still. Double check all connections of the tubing as well. Another thing I thought of does your pump have a valve to change how much pressure comes out?   

Edited by Acenorm