Pleco eating cordy food

I have what I have been told is a rubber nose/rubber lip pleco. Since it was my understanding they were vegetarian I purchased algea pellets for him.  He ignores the algea pellets (even crawling over them) to get to the Cordy's food (ground feeding fish food) and eats that instead. Is that ok?

16 hours ago, Colu said:

Can you take a picture of the Pleco we could help identify it

He's hard to get pictures of. Someone else from the forum looked at the pictures and said that his is a rubber lip pleco, but considering he's not acting like one it would be nice to get a second opinion. 

20210330_164923.jpg

20210403_100521.jpg

20210330_164823.jpg

Edited by Elizabeth Power

It looks like  a rubber lip pleco not 100% sure I feed my Plec Hikari algae wafers and Sera wood chips 2wafers each most nights twice a week I feed cucumber and blanched spinach and lettuce every now and then some blood worms  you can also feed rapshy solient green I always feed the Plec once the tank lights are off 

Edited by Colu

20 hours ago, Elizabeth Power said:

I have what I have been told is a rubber nose/rubber lip pleco. Since it was my understanding they were vegetarian I purchased algea pellets for him.  He ignores the algea pellets (even crawling over them) to get to the Cordy's food (ground feeding fish food) and eats that instead. Is that ok?

Many species of plecos are known to like more protein-rich foods. It is completely normal. In fact, my female bristlenose used to chase my Corydoras away from their shrimp wafers so that she could eat the wafers first. They will often prefer these over algae or algae wafers, but they will eat the other two when other food is not available. But because they constantly are eating, they are also still very efficient algae eaters outside of feeding time. I hope this helps.

I can't say for sure if it is a rubbernose pleco but if it is then his wanting a bit of protein rich food is not surprising:

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=318

--

he will eat what he needs to eat - just be happy he is eating.... Most catfishes will eat a fair amount of protein - even those that like algae and in this case protein is more than a minor part of the diet.