Guppy & Corydora Breeding Set-Up

Andrew Puhr

I originally had a Guppy/BN Pleco Breeding Tank but what I found was the BN Plecos did really well and the guppies just weren't breeding as well. I am separating and putting the guppies in a 40 Breeder with guppy grass. I wanted to add corydoras from another tank to give the bottom some activity but didn't want them to disrupt guppy breeding. I don't think they would eat the fry but wanted to have success since I am restarting my breeding operation. Don't care to breed the corydoras if it happens it happens. 

Putting the BN Plecos in a separate tank with more driftwood and hiding places so they can get attention and have easier access to catch to sell. 

It is unlikely the BN interfered with the guppies - as for cory - most cory won't bother with the frys - guppy frys spend 99% of their time at the top of the tank (best to have some floating plants they can hide in else the parents will snack on them); most cory spend 90% of their time at the bottom of tank. I have some guppies in a 40B with pygmy and orange laser cory and i wish they would eat the frys but they don't.

1 hour ago, Andrew Puhr said:

I originally had a Guppy/BN Pleco Breeding Tank but what I found was the BN Plecos did really well and the guppies just weren't breeding as well. I am separating and putting the guppies in a 40 Breeder with guppy grass. I wanted to add corydoras from another tank to give the bottom some activity but didn't want them to disrupt guppy breeding. I don't think they would eat the fry but wanted to have success since I am restarting my breeding operation. Don't care to breed the corydoras if it happens it happens. 

Putting the BN Plecos in a separate tank with more driftwood and hiding places so they can get attention and have easier access to catch to sell. 

This would be an excellent setup. In my experience (I have done this on multiple occasions, and currently now I am going it), it has been very easy to breed the guppies together in with Corydoras. In fact, the guppies thrive in this aquarium, and the population has gone up very quickly. I have a giant mass of plants in the middle, which probably helps. Also in my experience, the Corydoras will never go after and eat guppy babies, and will just keep to themselves.

Here is my Corydoras and guppy/endler aquarium:

1023047895_29GallonPlantedJungleCommunityAquarium.JPG.e372fd106b1d4e0e3ebc9c10b1921811.JPG

764878137_FeedingFrenzy2.JPG.b6860f9c8eeed254a22d9ee65d204594.JPG

One issue you might have with the trouble breeding guppies is your water parameters. I heard they do best with harder water and higher pH. What are your water parameters?

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1