Loaches for snails

Kittkat1981

I have a 65 gal 48 long 26 high.  4 golden angels golden barbs (great cheap schooling fish btw)  6 various danio and various types of shrimp. I also have a rabbit snail mystery snail and loads of trumpet and bladder. My question is. Is a khuli loach a good option for snail control (not eradication)  but not eat my shrimp?

Edited by Kittkat1981

17 minutes ago, Kittkat1981 said:

I have a 65 gal 48 long 26 high.  4 golden angels golden barbs (great cheap schooling fish btw)  6 various danio and various types of shrimp. I also have a rabbit snail mystery snail and loads of trumpet and bladder. My question is. Is a khuli loach a good option for snail control (not eradication)  but not eat my shrimp?

Kuhli loaches do not eat snails or shrimp. I was thinking assassin snails, but then read that you also have "pet" snails like mystery snails and rabbit snails. What kinds are you trying to get rid of?

22 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Kuhli loaches do not eat snails or shrimp. I was thinking assassin snails, but then read that you also have "pet" snails like mystery snails and rabbit snails. What kinds are you trying to get rid of?

Not really get rid if.  Just control.  Bladder and trumpet.    The assassin snail (singular) i have is doing his thing but I see conflicting info on them eating bladder snails

As others said kuhli won't eat them but a very gentle lovely loach is zebra loach - unfortunately they would likely go after the shrimp. If you wanted to try zebra loach you would want 5 or 6 - but as i noted they would likely go after the shrimp but it is not a given - different people have different experience. Another loach that is small is the dwarf chain loach but they are quite lively - while smaller than zebra loach (nearly 1/2 size) they are more likely to eat the shrimp....

-

Sadly it is likely that anything that would go after the bladder snails will likely poke at the rabbit snail and make it unwelcomed (this include assassin snails).

Edited by anewbie

28 minutes ago, anewbie said:

As others said kuhli won't eat them but a very gentle lovely loach is zebra loach - unfortunately they would likely go after the shrimp. If you wanted to try zebra loach you would want 5 or 6 - but as i noted they would likely go after the shrimp but it is not a given - different people have different experience. Another loach that is small is the dwarf chain loach but they are quite lively - while smaller than zebra loach (nearly 1/2 size) they are more likely to eat the shrimp....

-

Sadly it is likely that anything that would go after the bladder snails will likely poke at the rabbit snail and make it unwelcomed (this include assassin snails).

Well.......crap. snails ARE food limiting.  Guess I'll just deal with them.  It is a complete biom.

1 hour ago, Kittkat1981 said:

Not really get rid if.  Just control.  Bladder and trumpet.    The assassin snail (singular) i have is doing his thing but I see conflicting info on them eating bladder snails

They are better at getting rid of bladder snails than any other snail in my experience. Mine tend to prefer the bladder snails over trumpet snails, and in fact do have a bit of trouble with the trumpet snails too. I would not get a zebra loach or something similar, as it would it eat the "pest" snails as well as the assassin snail itself. If I were you, just get a couple more assassins, and make sure they don't eat the mystery or rabbit snails.