What is causing these particles in my water?

Dade

I've recently introduced CO2 and I've been adding a lot (too many?) minerals to the water. My filter seems to be functioning. But my water is full of these white particles. Or maybe the y 're bubbles? Any help is appreciated.

Obligatory photo: A brave neocaridinia faces off with Old Turtle Man, the betta.

2021-04-02 06.19.41.jpg

2021-04-02 06.45.04.jpg

Edited by Dade

3 hours ago, Dade said:

I've recently introduced CO2 and I've been adding a lot (too many?) minerals to the water. My filter seems to be functioning. But my water is full of these white particles. Or maybe the y 're bubbles? Any help is appreciated.

Obligatory photo: A brave neocaridinia faces off with Old Turtle Man, the betta.

2021-04-02 06.19.41.jpg

2021-04-02 06.45.04.jpg

Looks like you have too much surface film. You need to add more surface agitation or start skimming. As for the particles, it's either co2 bubbles or particles building up from lack of filtration.

Kind of looks like bubbles, and yeah a lot of undissolved co2 can make a tank look like a big vat of sprite. 

I think I see a spray bar, so would that mean you have a canister filter? If so, consider getting an in line diffuser for your co2. Will help get more of those bubbles dissolved before they reach your tank. 

• Like 1

Are you using industrial grade co2 or beverage grade co2? I've noticed when using industrial grade co2 there seems to be more oils/ contaminants that come out at the start. Just scoop out the top layer of your water and maintain good surface agitation and it should go away.

• Like 1