Care to bet on the color of my platy fry?

Brandy

So I have a pair of red wag platies in a 10 gallon with some guppies...I have been wondering if and when I would see my first platy fry. Mom was bigger than dad to begin with (as is normal with livebearers) but pretty small compared to some adults I have seen. Mom is dropping now. I see 10-15 fry so far. They are distinct from guppy fry which is fun. They are...gray? I know guppies are not born the color they will be, and guppy females can be bred when you buy them so it is a grab bag and this first drop could be any kind of mongrels. At what age will I know what I have? 

Edited to add: closest bet gets the entire drop as a prize!! (A joke, this is against forum policy)

PXL_20210402_002649939.jpg.5d49e65ce4915ec3c214fc6319df8e2d.jpg

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 3

I'm trapped under a very comfy cat right now, so I can't grab a close-up pic, but I have some platy fry that I think are only a few weeks old and I can already get a sense for who their parents are. Some are bright orange, some are very pale, and some are speckled, but plenty of others are gray and I can't tell if they're platy or endler.

So exciting! I'm guessing they'll also be red wags but they could be something else dark like rainbows.

• Like 1

I think that the wag genetics breed true, but the male with her may not be the dad of this first drop. The tank I purchased her out of had sunsets, gold speckles, micky mouse tails, blue, all kinds, so really I have no idea. On the other hand I have had her over a month so she could have been open when I got her. If they do belong to these parents, I would expect all to be consisently wags I think.

• Like 2

Hi I keep a lot of micky mouse platy and others (no clue what kind ) so they keep giving me babies when the condition in my tank is right for them.

I have 1 gourami and 1 angel fish with them, they all get along, but when the mom platy has babies the angel likes to eat them, so I guess the platy just wait for a favorable condition to procreate.. 3 months ago I have hornwort in my planted tank, it grew all the way to the top and provided shelter for the Fry, until the hornwort melted and the angel and gourami ate the Fry... (it was sad) 

Now I have a bunch of platy Fry, I only know what kind they are when they get like 3 weeks old. Last week I was treating 1 mom platy in my hospital tank for fin rot, her behaviour was kinda off so I decided to separate her.. and guess what! It gave me babies.. So now the mom is recovering and the little ones are growing healthy. Today I have to take the Fry out of the hospital tank. Here some pics.... 

20210402_092320.jpg

20210402_092337.jpg

20210402_092349.jpg

Ooo I’ve been reading up on platy genetics while planning my next breeding project! I want to guess!!!

So according to one source, the body red gene is Y-linked dominant. So that means if you have babies from a previous non-red-bodied father, you may get some baby girls that are not red bodied either. The baby boys should all be red bodied though no matter what. We can assume this because in order to be body-red, the mom must be a WY female, and therefore she’ll only be able to produce YY males. (Platys have three possible sex chromosomes—X, Y, and W.)

Wag is autosomal dominant, so if your platys are homozygous dominant, all the babies (regardless of father) will be wag too. But if your current parents are heterozygous (always the much more interesting option 😁) then even after the mom uses up the sperm from previous matings, 25% of their offspring will be non-wag.

My bet though is that they’re both homozygous dominant and all your babies will be wag forever. And in terms of body color, I’m betting on all red baby boys, and some non-red-bodied girls (in this drop at least).

Source: https://ephieslivebearers.weebly.com/uploads/5/7/7/9/57793349/practical_platy_genetics_1.0.pdf

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, I see 5 or 6 fry that seem to have made it, they are all wags, and they are all varying shades of orange, gold, rust. I don't know what to make of that. The dad I have is true red-orange, the mom is orange with light irridescence. They are super cute and just beginning to get their platy chunkiness.

• Like 4